Engraved pommel designs
There's been some discussion about how accurate a feature like an engraved (or similar technique), not inlaid, cross is on a pommel. Some pics have been posted here and there, but I found another and didn't want to clutter other threads with that stuff. Here are some pics I've found so far. Does anyone have any more?

Albion's inspiration for the Baron. The pommel appears to have something engraved on the boss.
[ Linked Image ]

Courtesy of Peter Johnsson:
[ Linked Image ]

Also from Peter:
[ Linked Image ]

If I come across any more, I'll try to get them posted.

Attachment: 47.15 KB
Crosspommel.jpg
From a Sotheby's catalogue

Attachment: 124.51 KB
Crosspommel-2.jpg
X.14 from Records of the Medieval Sword
Here's another one. It's a nice great sword, once housed in the arsenal at Alexandria.

Attachment: 25.73 KB
Alexandria Sword.jpg
Copyright 2006 - Peter Finer
Oops. I just read the full (longer) listing for the Alexandria sword posted in the second post. There may be traces of latten in the cross, suggesting a previous inlay. Still a nice looking sword, though.
The small cross is quite dominant when it comes to the engravings. Were these symbols for the sake of Christianity?

I love the one that isn't a cross. Any known significance to that?
I was intrigued with the design on the cross guard ends of the X.14 from Records of the Medieval Sword. I tried magnifying the image but could not tell what it was. At least to me it appears more like two different engraved circular designs as opposed to recesses for a coin or similar technique.
Michael Clark wrote:
The small cross is quite dominant when it comes to the engravings. Were these symbols for the sake of Christianity?

I love the one that isn't a cross. Any known significance to that?

Christianity was quite dominant in Europe during the medieval period and Renaissance and the concepts of knighthood and chivalry were very intertwined with the Christian faith, so yes, many (I'd venture to guess most) of the etchings, inlays and engravings found on medieval swords have Christian symbology, whether it be a simple cross, religious phrase etc.

The other symbol you mention, is I suspect, part of it's owner's coat of arms. It does bare some resemblance to a fleur de lis...
Here's a sword from the Metropoloitan Museum that was also once in Alexandria.

Attachment: 24.79 KB
Alexandria Sword-2.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: