Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jul 24: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
67%
 67%  [ 23 ]
Very Good
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
Good
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 34

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Jul 24: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

A Visitor's Experience: National Museum of the American Indian

An article by Bill Grandy

A Visitor's Experience: The Minneapolis Institute of Art

An article by Craig Johnson

A Visitor's Experience: The Art Institute of Chicago

An article by Sean Flynt

Event Report: Armour Research Society Workshop, 2006

An article by Jonathon Janusz

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These updates are a big part of what keeps me coming back to myArmoury.com. As i have expressed before, I think this site is becoming one of the premier resources for arms and armour. These narrative museum reviews are valuable in that they educate the reader on what to expect from a visit, and serve to remind us that in addition to reading, an in-person experience with period weapons and armour is equally valuable--Oakeshott and his many colleagues in the field did not become experts on reading alone! Thank you to the contributing authors and to Nathan for the great new articles.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As you can see, we're really adding to our Visitor's Experience series. I'd encourage anyone who has a museum visit planned to contact us about adding to our growing series.

The same goes for event reports. There are many events, conferences, and shows that are worth reporting on to the arms and armour community.

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Kyro R. Lantsberger

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Minneapolis         Reply with quote

I live in Southern Minnesota, and frequently am in the Twin Cities for business. I make it a point to visit the Minneapolis Institute of Arts whenever I can make it work timewise.

I will be up in that area in a week and a half and plan to take this all in again. I have not had the chance to visit New York or Chicago in order to have a comparison, but the total collection of the MIA is amazing in its depth and breadth.

The arms and armor exhibit that Craig wrote about sounds fantastic.

This particular museum is very well balanced, containing art and artefacts from the Classical World, Asia, and Polynesia. The collections also include vibrant paintings from the Renaissance period on up.In addition to these, the MIA has a very good Egyptian collection(My favorite), including a wall from a tomb. One can get close enough to see the tool scratchings within the heiroglyphics.

Im not likely to do more than repeat what Craig said. If you find yourself stuck in Minneapolis, this is a must see.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just realized that we can also welcome 2 new authors for this site: Craig Johnson and Jonathon Janusz.

Welcome, guys!

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I just realized that we can also welcome 2 new authors for this site: Craig Johnson and Jonathon Janusz.

Welcome, guys!

And very well written and interesting articles. Big Grin Cool The other articles are equally interesting. Wink

The photography shown, enough in each piece, that the articles are fun to read and are not a dusty and dry listing of what can be found in each museum with a floor plan: They actually make you want to go visit. Wink And if visiting is not practical in the immediate future, at least the articles give enough content, text and visuals, to almost feel that one has seen the essential pieces. ( Or at least a few really good one's )

Oh, also good P.R. for the Museums and maybe valuable contacts made with these Museums that might open up some old vault or storage with stuff rarely seen because the swords or armour are not the " princely " highly decorated ones that get more display time and are more interesting from an art history perspective.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Mon 24 Jul, 2006 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, Chad Happy. I hope my draft wasn't too hard on you Wink

This was fun; I hope to do it again sometime.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:

You're welcome to any time, Jonathon.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Thanks for the welcome, Chad Happy. I hope my draft wasn't too hard on you Wink

Nah. It was fine. Happy As Nathan said, we'd love to get more stuff from you down the road.

Happy

ChadA

Geoff Freeman

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very good update. I was at the Chicago Art Institute last March with my university art history class and was able to spend several hours in the arms and armor room.

Sean, did the Art Institute still have the altar piece ca. 1390's on display? When I was there I spent a good deal of time studying it. I found it very interesting to see the depiction of the New Testament (at least with regards to the birth and crucifixion of Christ) in 1390's clothing as well as arms and armor (although I am familiar with the tendency in medieval artwork to depict Biblical stories in contemporary dress).

Geoffrey C. Freeman
Durendal Fencing Club
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Freeman wrote:
Very good update. I was at the Chicago Art Institute last March with my university art history class and was able to spend several hours in the arms and armor room.

Sean, did the Art Institute still have the altar piece ca. 1390's on display? When I was there I spent a good deal of time studying it. I found it very interesting to see the depiction of the New Testament (at least with regards to the birth and crucifixion of Christ) in 1390's clothing as well as arms and armor (although I am familiar with the tendency in medieval artwork to depict Biblical stories in contemporary dress).

If so, I didn't see it (but I spent so much time in Gunsaulus Hall that I had to rush through much of the rest of the museum). I did find a later crucifixion scene rich with depictions of arms and armour. That was late 15th/early 16th c., IIRC. Dürer's work is another great resource for contemporary depictions of arms and armour, and we can be confident that AD actually understood what he was depicting along those lines.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Kelly C.

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: I just saw this collection         Reply with quote

I just saw this collection at the Art Institute about 4 days ago. It was really interesting.

I was looking at the article talking about this collection, and there are two groups of pictures. In the first group, the first picture is of a miniature cannon. I saw it when I was there, and now that I'm seeing it again, I've forgotten the actual name of it. Does anyone know what this is really called besides a miniature cannon?

I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Jul 24: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic