Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to avoid "tear" in maille armpit? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: How to avoid "tear" in maille armpit?         Reply with quote

A problem I've had with my maille shirts - even my new riveted haubergeon - is that one or two rings tend to snap loose in the armpit where the sleeves join the body. Is this unavoidable or could it be fixed?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to avoid "tear" in maille armpit?         Reply with quote

Mikael Ranelius wrote:
A problem I've had with my maille shirts - even my new riveted haubergeon - is that one or two rings tend to snap loose in the armpit where the sleeves join the body. Is this unavoidable or could it be fixed?

I did have one ring " pop " exactly the same way with my hauberk, only one though when I reached up over my head .

It is as if the whole weight of the hauberk gets concentrated on that one ring !

Probably the solution is some " tailoring " where there is some extra material under the arm so that raising the arm doesn't pull on all the maille underneath. With factory made maille I wouldn't expect these important design subtleties to have been taken into consideration.

A tight belt at the waist and " blousing " the maille above the belt can take some of this dragging down weight off the armpit rivets. ( not a perfect solution )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This probably won't help you too much on a the shirt you have since it is rivetted, but the easiest way to build in some flexibility is to add in gussets (especially with a long sleeved shirt). These are triangular or diamond shaped sections of mail that can be used to add room/countour the mail to fit. Basically, you split open what would otherwise be a straight tube and add the gusset in. This does change the lay of the rings a bit but is not really that noticeable when you are wearing the mail. I don't usually bother to make mail since it's available so cheaply from India, but when I did I would use gussets at the armits, elbows, etc.

Hope that helped,

Nathan

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Okey, thanks. I guess it would be pretty difficult to go in and try tailoring the armpits, although gussets would have been ideal. Perhaps one should expect to regularly repair the armpits of a maille shirt?
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, just as an aside, I don't think it would be ahistorical to do repairs/customizations like this--I have no trouble imagining a man-at-arms busting his hauberk's armpit the first time he wore it and then bringing it to his lord's armorer to get a better fit.
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree. If it is possible to acquire some loose links from whoever you bought it from you could add in gussets. Of course this is a lot easier to do on a butted shirt Sad
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I guess it won't be too difficult. After all, I've made two maille shirts myself + two hoods. How large should the gussets be?
James Barker

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Extant maille shirts have gussets in them and are tailored for the wearer; I too have had this problem and need to add a gusset; it is on my project list. I think Van Sussen sells loose rings for his shirts; I have a GDFB shirt and I have loose rings for it because I did tailoring to it when I bought it.
James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depending on how big you are I would say at least 4 inches. On my long sleeved shirt I have them on the points of the elbows as well.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How to avoid "tear" in maille armpit?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic