Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Another La Tene celtic sword finished Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Another La Tene celtic sword finished         Reply with quote

It is good to finally get this one done since it has been in the works for I don't even know how long. Mainly just because it started off as a personal project so there was always something more pressing to work on. My interest have moved more to earlier and later in the period. The hilt is buffalo horn that is dark brown to black in color with a greenish bronze color below the surface and polished steel. The blade started out as an Albion La Tene II which I reground lenticular and etched with a woodgrain pattern. At this point it is just good to have it done.

More pictures and info on my website.
http://www.ironagearmoury.com/personal_la_tene.htm

With this La Tene II done and the La Tene III a couple weeks ago I am pretty much down to the La Tene I to finish up. So I will be starting up on some of my own blades soon. Most likely these are going to be a La tene III either lenticular or hollow ground blade and maybe a British blade. Of course as my forging starts getting better I will be starting on a falcata as well. With starting forging I may move my focus some to focus more on spears.

Shane
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Handsome!

How wide/thick is that grip, in comparison to the blade? Looks almost as wide as the blade . . . .

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey John, thanks.

The grip is 1 3/4" wide and 7/8" thick while the blade is 1 5/8" wide.

Shane
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what you can do with the forged blades. My own (and partner's) forging skills have just gotten to the point where we can reliably shape a leaf-blade. I'd love to see some in progress stuff when you actually get started forging falcata. That happens to be one of my favorite blade types, and I know how complicated a really authentic blade of that sort can be.
And spears! Now you are talking my language!

BTW, the etched wood-grain pattern on the La Tene sword is really appealing,

Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jun, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The falcata has been a project on my to do list for a couple years now and have slowly been gaining a better understanding of them to the point where I think that I will be able to really capture the feel of them once I get the technics down. I will have to do an in progress on the website about it once it gets started. Right now though I'm just messing about with a larger la Tene knife. Also thinking about the idea of doing one of the all iron anthros since I have yet to see anyone tackle them.

I love the La Tene spears, but my main hold up right now is getting a spring swage set up to do the mid ribs. You can buy them, but I'd still need a helper. Kind of thinking that if I have to modify one to solidly mount that I might be just as well off designing one from the get go so that I know it will give me what I want.

Shane
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
The falcata has been a project on my to do list for a couple years now and have slowly been gaining a better understanding of them to the point where I think that I will be able to really capture the feel of them once I get the technics down. I will have to do an in progress on the website about it once it gets started. Right now though I'm just messing about with a larger la Tene knife. Also thinking about the idea of doing one of the all iron anthros since I have yet to see anyone tackle them.

I love the La Tene spears, but my main hold up right now is getting a spring swage set up to do the mid ribs. You can buy them, but I'd still need a helper. Kind of thinking that if I have to modify one to solidly mount that I might be just as well off designing one from the get go so that I know it will give me what I want.

Shane

Holler at me if you can find no other helper. i will find a way to be there. At least for a "one of" gig . . . .

Steve Sells
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane, you are always welcome to use my forge if you need it. I have servants, err apprentices that are good with my 8 pound sledge on my spring loaded fuller tools too Laughing Out Loud
Steve Sells
http://fenrisforge.com
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please DO NOT take this in any way as an insult. Is this "cable Damascus" or a multi laminate showing the pattern as it does as a result of the blade grinding? I like it and thought it might be an example of either.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jared,

The blade is just a simple 1075 blade that has been etched with a resist to give it that pattern. We have example of original blades that have been decorated in this way is where I came up with the idea to do it. Some looked like they might have been etched to make them look like they were made of a piled construction, but others seem to have just more of a woodgrain pattern (what I was going for with this one) or even a more simple vine like pattern. Later in the period than this one they get into doing things like textured fullers and file mark patterns.

I certainly could have used a few of your guys tonight Steve. Tried out my mid rib swage tonight and it wasn't happening. It is made to do three inch section at a time with a power hammer or press, so me and my four pounder didn't work so hot. So I'm thinking that I need to cut it down to work about half that area at a time so that maybe then I can generate enough force by hand.

Shane

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Another La Tene celtic sword finished
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic