Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need design ideas for a dagger for a woman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jan Small

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Need design ideas for a dagger for a woman         Reply with quote

Hi,

Could any recommend a dagger design that is suiteable for a girl, in other words feminine. My girlfriend is turning 21 and I'm getting someone to make her a dagger but needs some ideas on the design. Question

I was thinking maybe an oriental design but have not decided yet on anything specific.

TIA,
JJ
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about a nice stiletto?

Museum Replicas Limited has a few decent looking ones

http://66.0.193.113/isroot/www11650/productimages/mrl1244.jpg

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second the stiletto idea. The MRL that Gary mentioned was one I gave to my own girlfriend, in fact.. she loves it Happy

A smaller bodice dagger might also be nice, but they can be tiny.

My girlfriend also likes kris blades, maybe that is also a 'female' thing, but tastes vary Happy Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need design ideas for a dagger for a woman         Reply with quote

Jan Small wrote:

Hi,

Could any recommend a dagger design that is suiteable for a girl, in other words feminine. My girlfriend is turning 21 and I'm getting someone to make her a dagger but needs some ideas on the design. Question

I was thinking maybe an oriental design but have not decided yet on anything specific.

TIA,
JJ

Depending on your girls tastes, temperament and humor, she might like a slim ballockdagger? Wink ...hilt in bone or boxwood, narrow hollowground blade and reinforced point!

Seriously though, these can be made to look very classy and elegant.
Otherwise I would second the stiletto idea. A nice three edged holowground thing, all steel construction.
Jan Small

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that Stilleto, might even curve the handle a bit. Gonna have alook this afternoon to see what a local guy can and cannot do, He is apparently quite good. Alternatively i should maybe purchase one over the net but it could work out expensively as i Live in South Africa.

Can anybody recommend a good internet dealer?

Thanx for the help so far.

JJ Happy
Jan Small

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need design ideas for a dagger for a woman         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

Depending on your girls tastes, temperament and humor, she might like a slim ballockdagger? Wink ...hilt in bone or boxwood, narrow hollowground blade and reinforced point!

Seriously though, these can be made to look very classy and elegant.
Otherwise I would second the stiletto idea. A nice three edged holowground thing, all steel construction.

Do you have a pic of what you mean with "Three edged holowground"? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have a pic of what you mean with "Three edged holowground"? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Hi Jan,

You can find a useful discussion of hollowground blades here:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=hollow

While the above topic deals primarily with sword blades, (and would serve a different function in a stilleto), the "what's" and "how's" and "why's" are discussed there.

Yours,

David
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, three edged... imagine the blade as looking like a triangle when viewed from the point down towards the hilt. There are three edges, like any triangle, that are then hollow ground to have a shallow middle to them.

I have been told that a puncture wound from this sort of knife will not heal easily, which is why it was chosen as a design.

I've also heard that if the stiletto is made of ... either copper, bronze or brass... it also had an adverse effect on the wound. Not sure about that, it was a tidbit coming from an AngelSword dealer Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Jan Small

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanx,

Sounds like it might complement the look i now have in mind.

Cheers,
JJ
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a three edged dagger dating to around 1500 AD. It is kept in the Historical Museum, Stockholm, Sweden. Construction is all steel with a hollow conical tube as grip and a two piece hollow disc as pommel/cap. Below is reconstruction of how it may have looked when new.
Blades like this are effective stabbing instruments, especially through thick wool or leather.

Attachment: 36.27 KB
Dagger3edge.jpg

Attachment: 36.64 KB
Dagger3e.jpg

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonderful recreation, Peter !

Thanks for sharing that , Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, there we go. That disc-shaped pommel is something new to me, though... I guess that's good for pushing the stiletto deeper once you've stabbed a guy Wink
Brett Josef Schmidthuber

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"I've also heard that if the stiletto is made of ... either copper, bronze or brass... it also had an adverse effect on the wound. Not sure about that, it was a tidbit coming from an AngelSword dealer "

Actually, in fact, it does -- copper poisening --. I've actually seen the effects first hand...causes a nasty infection in a wound. And since all bronze and brass contain copper as their primary element (I trust I need not mention copper contains copper ;-) ) they still have the copper effect . By the way, bronze (90% copper, 10% tin historically-now some bronzes use aluminum and silicone as elements as well) makes the best blade out of those three materials- Brass is too soft and mushy, copper is..copper. soft. - but bronze is harder and tougher then both. Ive planned actually to make a few stiletto's and other blades, out of less "high tech" materials then steel soon, and bronze is the material I'm going with.

In relation to the main subject - another idea for your ladie's dagger would be a long slim double edged dagger... Delicate and deadly. Maybe with a bloodwood (or pink ivory?) grip. Kind of like a fairbairn sykes commando knife...I'll try and make a sketch of My idea for you...

When in doubt, bleed them out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Need design ideas for a dagger for a woman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic