Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thomas Del Mar Ltd antique arms, armour & militaria auction Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Todd Salazar

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Thomas Del Mar Ltd antique arms, armour & militaria auct         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

For everyone's information. There is a rather large auction of antique arms, armour and militaria at an auction house named Thomas Del Mar coming up in London on June 26, 2007. The main webpage is at http://www.thomasdelmar.com. It's associated with Sotheby's so you know there have to be some important pieces there. Some highlights for myself includes a beautiful Walter Allan of Sterling pictured at http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as260607/lot253.jpg. Anyway, enjoy everyone! Happy

Cheers,
Todd

Last edited by Todd Salazar on Tue 12 Jun, 2007 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! There are definitely some nice pieces up for sale. I am now lusting after lot 69:

"A RARE CASED PAIR OF VICTORIAN 1845 PATTERN INFANTRY SWORDS BY PHILIPPS & SON, GEORGE ST., HANOVER SQ, LONDON, CIRCA 1864-70 with standard and piquet-weight etched blades, each decorated with foliage, the crowned Royal cypher, the owner's initials, 'A. H.', crested arms including three Eagles displayed, and motto 'Vive ut Vivas', regulation brass hilts, one retaining its leather liner and bullion knot, in their brass-mounted leather scabbards, contained together in their original mahogany case with flush-fitting brass carrying handle, and lined in padded red velvet (the lining worn) 82cm; 32 1/4in and 78cm; 30 3/4in blades Philipps & Son traded at this address as Philipps, Lawrence & Son circa 1864-70."
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. There are some very nice pieces in that auction. Unfortunately, I'm poor again, and can't even afford the "inexpensive" stuff right now.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooo! Thanks for the heads up. I like to save images from auctions like this.

There appears to be a sword that may have been the inspiration for MRL's current German backsword:

http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as260607/lot153.jpg

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/r...sword.aspx
(the MRL catalog shows the piece much better than their website)

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just took a more careful look through the catalog and noticed that a large number of items are from Warwick Castle--pretty neat!

Jonathan
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "Rare Zischagge" is particularly striking! A nice variety of burgeonettes as well.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thabks for sharing that, there are some very interesting pieces there.

I'm going to go off on a tangent here, but has anyone noticed lot 320, "MINIATURE ARMOUR IN MID-15TH CENTURY STYLE, LATE 19TH/20TH CENTURY"?
http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogues/as260607/lot320.jpg

I'm quite intrigued by it. It's supposedly loosely based on the armour of Friederich I, Prince Elector of Pfalz, preserved in the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna. I don't recall seeing pictures of this particular harness, and I'm curious that the model has an armet instead of the typical German sallet. I wasn't aware that armets were worn with "Gothic" armours.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
I just took a more careful look through the catalog and noticed that a large number of items are from Warwick Castle--pretty neat! Jonathan

Hi Guys

That WAS appears to be one that was included in Charles Whitelaw's book "Scottish Arms Makers", as Plate 3 Fig. 6
(see text and attached pics), which did indeed reside at Warwick Castle .

Thanks for the link, Todd, much appreciated ! Mac

Charles Whitelaw, 'Scottish Arms Makers', Plate 3, Fig. 6
Signed (W) A over S
(the W has been obliterated
by a repair). Keyhole pattern,
dot & circle ornamentation.
Single-edged blade with two
fullers, signed 'Andria Farara'.
Total length - 41 1/4", Blade 36"
by 1 1/4". - Warwick Castle

Auction text
A FINE AND RARE SCOTTISH BACK-SWORD WITH BASKET HILT SIGNED BY WALTER ALLAN OF STIRLING SECOND QUARTER OF THE 18TH CENTURY with straight blade double-edged for the last portion stamped Andria Farara over a pair of long slender fullers and cut with a pair of shorter fullers on each face steel basket-hilt of moulded wavy bars joining at a ring beneath the pommel comprising forward guard formed of a pair of bars main knuckle-guard formed of a broad plate pierced with three horizontal panels of slipped circles alternating with diamonds in the top and bottom panels and quatrefoils in the centre all framed with a broad flute top and bottom side-guard formed of a central panel pierced with circular arrangements of hearts enclosed by a ramshorn finial top and bottom (one bar on one side and two on the other cracked) additional rear guard (two bars with early repairs) scrolling wrist guard (repaired) stamped with the maker s initials and the letter S beneath the rear quillon (the first letter obscured) enriched throughout with wrigglework and incised circles bun-shaped pommel cut with diagonal fluting framed by incised lines original sharkskin-covered grip bound with silver ribband with a shaped silver collar top and bottom and complete with an early red felt doeskin liner 90.2cm; 35 1/2in blade Inv. no. E036. LITERATURE Cyril Mazansky British Basket-Hilted Swords Suffolk 2005 p. 157 illustrated. Walter Allan was admitted freeman of the Incorporation of Hammermen of Stirling in 1732 and became Deacon of the same in 1737. For a discussion of this maker see W. Reid 1963 pp.16-21. A number of comparable swords signed by this maker and with blades signed in a similar manner are illustrated in Culloden 1996 pp. 40-43. £5000-6000

Attachment: 67.37 KB
Whitelaw 3-6 WAS.jpg

Attachment: 27.3 KB
WAS picture 1.jpg

Attachment: 56.8 KB
lot253.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Thomas Del Mar Ltd antique arms, armour & militaria auction
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic