sword sparring clubs in the uk?
hi chaps,
i am based in north wales u.k. and am looking for a club or people interested in getting together and practicing our learnt techniques with real sparring swords or with realistic replica sparring weapons made of more forgiving materials. I am new to western martial arts but have some weapons handling experience from my martial arts background. I would like to find a club to become a member of but failing that maybe arrange to meet like mided enthusiasts for serious but informal bit of sparring. Can anyone help with any british websites like this one or clubs websites? cheers guys - Rob.
Re: sword sparring clubs in the uk?
Rob Jones wrote:
hi chaps,
i am based in north wales u.k. and am looking for a club or people interested in getting together and practicing our learnt techniques with real sparring swords or with realistic replica sparring weapons made of more forgiving materials. I am new to western martial arts but have some weapons handling experience from my martial arts background. I would like to find a club to become a member of but failing that maybe arrange to meet like mided enthusiasts for serious but informal bit of sparring. Can anyone help with any british websites like this one or clubs websites? cheers guys - Rob.

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/intro/

Here you will find what you´re looking for.
Coincidentally, I was just about to start a similar thread inquiring about sword-fighting groups in the U.K.. Though I was going to specifically ask about groups in or near York, since that is where I am going for my M.A. in Medieval Studies this coming Autumn term (starting in October). I am also very interested in any historical reenactment groups (that aren't too expensive to join, as I am just a lowly and poor student ;) ), also in the York area. I prefer early medieval stuff (aka anything from fall of Rome to 1066) but I do like other periods also.

I know of Regia Anglorum in the UK, but I'm not really sure if I would have the time or money for that......I am going to be rather busy with my studies, after all. What I'm looking for is something that I could just casually attend whenever I had time and energy to do so.

Any suggestions from those "in the know"? :)
Shamsi Modarai wrote:
Coincidentally, I was just about to start a similar thread inquiring about sword-fighting groups in the U.K.. Though I was going to specifically ask about groups in or near York, since that is where I am going for my M.A. in Medieval Studies this coming Autumn term (starting in October). I am also very interested in any historical reenactment groups (that aren't too expensive to join, as I am just a lowly and poor student ;) ), also in the York area. I prefer early medieval stuff (aka anything from fall of Rome to 1066) but I do like other periods also.

I know of Regia Anglorum in the UK, but I'm not really sure if I would have the time or money for that......I am going to be rather busy with my studies, after all. What I'm looking for is something that I could just casually attend whenever I had time and energy to do so.

Any suggestions from those "in the know"? :)

Join the forum over at www.fioredeiliberi.org there are a couple of people from groups around York that could point you in the right direction.
Thanks....I will post on their forum as soon as the admin approves me. :)

In the meantime, what about this group?

http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=2426

I know its not in York, but it was the closest I could find online. And practicing at the Royal Armouries in Leeds seems like a fun thing to do. ;)
Shamsi Modarai wrote:
Thanks....I will post on their forum as soon as the admin approves me. :)

In the meantime, what about this group?

http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=2426

I know its not in York, but it was the closest I could find online. And practicing at the Royal Armouries in Leeds seems like a fun thing to do. ;)

I know one of the guys on the Schola forum is a member of them, or a member of an offshoot. And yeah, it does seem like a fun thing to do.
Thanks, sounds like I'd better get posting on that Schola forum. :lol:
Shamsi Modarai wrote:
... I am also very interested in any historical reenactment groups (that aren't too expensive to join, as I am just a lowly and poor student ;) ), also in the York area. I prefer early medieval stuff (aka anything from fall of Rome to 1066) but I do like other periods also ....

My daughter and son-in-law live in York (Heworth area), and recently started participating in an English Civil War reenactment group. That is a little outside your period, but if it is of interest, shoot me a pm, and I will request the particulars from my daughter. My son-in-law also used to participate in a Viking reenactment group in the same area. Of course, York (Jorvik) was a major Viking center.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: