Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New XII {relatively speaking} Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: New XII {relatively speaking}         Reply with quote

This sword, is what you might call a precursor. Its not "permanently assembled", but it has everything else that the permanently assembled swords will have.........

This is a XII, and the blade crossection from the fuller to the tip is lenticular, instead of flat diamond, or hex....This, for me is new........ This new line of swords will be this way, lenticular for the earlier, fullered swords........

Gone is the "wavy" appearance of what was once referred to as the "Dawg Hamon'. Now, just a flat satin finish.........

The edges are convex......... No more the obvious secondary bevei.........

The sword weighs 2lbs 10 oz, but is very quick. {and of course its available}........

Programming tonite is a blade that will be "permanently assembled. Hope to send one to Christian Fletcher in about 4 weeks, as we kind of intend to do a few limilted production pieces {double fullered X}

Attachment: 41.32 KB
IMG_0234_1.jpg

Attachment: 63.02 KB
IMG_0235_1.jpg

swords are fun
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice to see you breaking new personal ground.

Were you able to take the lessons that you learned about dynamic handling from diamond/hexagonal shaped swords and apply them directly to the lenticular blade?

I don't know if you want to get into it but how did you "design" the sword? Did you start with a hexagonal blade and then grind the sword down differently or did you have to build the sword from the "ground up" as a lenticular design?
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Nice to see you breaking new personal ground.

Were you able to take the lessons that you learned about dynamic handling from diamond/hexagonal shaped swords and apply them directly to the lenticular blade?

I don't know if you want to get into it but how did you "design" the sword? Did you start with a hexagonal blade and then grind the sword down differently or did you have to build the sword from the "ground up" as a lenticular design?

Hi Jason

I'm not that paranoid about things............ the most outspoken folks on sword design either pretty much see things eye to eye, or have their own way of doing things anyways..........

Tinker handled this particular sword, and stated {on SFI for that matter} that it was his "favorite Atrim singlehander"......

So, the dynamic balance is there. Believe it or not, the section that is involved, the area betwixt fullers and tip, isn't going to influence things as much as the way the distal and profile tapers work together, the edge, and the overall blade geometry. Tang, pommel shape and weight.......... the fullering has more effect on the dynamic balance than the lenticular section of this particular blade.............

In fact, it handles very much like the DN1316, except maybe a bit quicker, maybe cuts a bit better........

swords are fun
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like a borderline case between the XII and XIV to my eyes--but either way, it's impossible to mistake it for anything else than an ATrim monster cutter.

A lenticular blade. From Angus Trim. Sounds like a rather scary combination...
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What would one of those cost as a bare blade if you'd even offer it in that configuration?
Thanks,
Dan
David Martin

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your swords just keep getting better and more beautiful. Congratulations on this new development!

I would love to see you make a grossemesser - I'll do the polishing and rivet the handle on it myself if that will increase the probability of one being made. Wink

Good luck on this and all other endeavors.

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jun, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work! Is this part of your peened pommel series you where talking about last fall?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Nice work! Is this part of your peened pommel series you where talking about last fall?

M.

In the forst post, Gus said:

Quote:
This sword, is what you might call a precursor. Its not "permanently assembled", but it has everything else that the permanently assembled swords will have.........

So it shares features with the peened series (aka permanently assembled), but is not peened.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Dickinson wrote:
What would one of those cost as a bare blade if you'd even offer it in that configuration?
Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan

I have six more machine payments left {$3600/mo}. After that, i might consider making bare blades for folks again, but right now I don't even want to think about it............

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

In the forst post, Gus said:

Quote:

So it shares features with the peened series (aka permanently assembled), but is not peened.

Thanks Chad

With the disasters I've had since fall, I just haven't felt comfortable investing the time to finalize the "peened" stuff. What you see now, was pretty much done before November.

The actual peened series, will probably be a 2008 thing now.........

swords are fun
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah ok thanks Gus and Chad; totally missed that bit there. Makes sense now though.

Well, I am looking forward to your peened series; once we get a few reviews I shall see which one is the one I'm after.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus could you give us some more stats? Blade length and width in particular.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword looks great. Sorry to hear about the peened line being pushed back until 2008. I'll keep my eyes open for it!
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darwin Todd wrote:
Angus could you give us some more stats? Blade length and width in particular.

Hi Todd

I'll dig things up, but I'm off right at the moment to ship this sword to Atlanta. It'll be at the Atlanta Blade Show at the Vaiiant Armory booth.........

Auld Dawg

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
This sword looks great. Sorry to hear about the peened line being pushed back until 2008. I'll keep my eyes open for it!

Hi Tim

Never know, if I get the right incentive, I might just finish this four fullered Type XIV blade I have in the next three to four weeks, peened.

Disasters derailed this part of "where I want to go", but I still intend to get there. Its part of establishing a new identity, if you will.

Instead of one of three US sword manufacturers, I really want to leave it two sword manufacturers {A&A and Albion}, and fit in between the manufacturers and the true custom guys. Small, 10 to15 swords a month, and maybe a couple knives or daggers. Improved on where I was last year......

Albion is at the top of the heap, makes great stuff, and with Mike as their customer support guy, have as good a customer support as they have a product........ Rather than butt heads with that, I'd rather be much smaller, make really good stuff that appeals to a different segment of the market. The tacticals are doing that for me now in a way, as I'm selling roughly 8 a month.

The kool thing about what Albion has done, is they've pushed the envelope on prices........ where a small operator like myself can fit in, improve on the past to justify mildly higher prices, and stay small........

That's why I want to do this peened series..........

swords are fun
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

I'll dig things up, but I'm off right at the moment to ship this sword to Atlanta. It'll be at the Atlanta Blade Show at the Vaiiant Armory booth.........
Auld Dawg

It's good to know that at least a couple of your blades are going to be there even if you can't attend. Can't wait to see them. Any chance that there's a 1403 in that batch?
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

Auld Dawg

It's good to know that at least a couple of your blades are going to be there even if you can't attend. Can't wait to see them. Any chance that there's a 1403 in that batch?

Hi Jason

Not this year. There's only going to be five swords of mine there altogether. This one, and a bastard sword will be at the Valiant Armory Booth. As well as the Tac Gim. Tinker will have a Tac 23 Shortsword, and the Tac Gladius.......

That's all this year........next year I'm planning on attending.........

swords are fun

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New XII {relatively speaking}
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic