Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Italian Targets Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Italian Targets         Reply with quote

I am currently planning to build a typica 16th century style Italian Target. The excellent illustration in the feature article on this site shows a target with reinforcing fixed to the front face and on the edges.
Ive seen a picture on a dealer's site which looks as if it has been edge rolled all round but the description refers to appled reinforcing.
Does anyone know how this was achieved ? In the pictures the outline of rivets can be seen but thes would appear to be through what is a hollow strip ? I am puzzled. Any ideas or info would be helpful
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard, the steel target we have c.1560 or so has its edge rolled over approximately 3/16" round stock and the edge is then counter sunk. I don't know the nationality of the piece we own so can only say that it is European.
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Richard, the steel target we have c.1560 or so has its edge rolled over approximately 3/16" round stock and the edge is then counter sunk. I don't know the nationality of the piece we own so can only say that it is European.

Allan,
Thanks for that. Thats interesting. I'm new to metalwork and had assumed that rolling over wire was a modern quick fix type of job !! I've read, I think, on this forum someone suggesting that forming over a 'coat hanger' was an easy way !

Thats interesting, presumably decoration/reinforcement on the front could be a semicircular shaped strip rivetted on to a rod under or inside which would enable it to keep its shape.

I'd love to see a picture of the target you have !
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard, rolling over wire was a fairely common practice by the 16th century. Most of our collection is early 16th century forward and about 70% of the armour pieces are rolled over wire or round stock. The mid 16th century Italian buckler we have is also rolled over round rod although of smaller diameter.

Rolling and edge serves to A) strenghten it B) around the arms, at the wrist , at the neck ect. for the sfatey and comfort of the wearer. Counter sinking the rolled edge strengthens still more and by the end of the 14th century was being used at points like the neck line on breast plates, the tops of cuisses at the thigh as a type of stop rib to direct blows especially from below ( when mountes) away from points like the neck or head and joint at the thigh.

The rolling of the shield over round stock serves the same purpose as rawhide on older wooden shields. Many blows caught by the shield will hit the edge and transmit maximum force so the extra strength at that point is important.

There are pics of both target and buckler in the originals gallery on our site.
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
Richard, rolling over wire was a fairely common practice by the 16th century. Most of our collection is early 16th century forward and about 70% of the armour pieces are rolled over wire or round stock. The mid 16th century Italian buckler we have is also rolled over round rod although of smaller diameter.

Rolling and edge serves to A) strenghten it B) around the arms, at the wrist , at the neck ect. for the sfatey and comfort of the wearer. Counter sinking the rolled edge strengthens still more and by the end of the 14th century was being used at points like the neck line on breast plates, the tops of cuisses at the thigh as a type of stop rib to direct blows especially from below ( when mountes) away from points like the neck or head and joint at the thigh.

The rolling of the shield over round stock serves the same purpose as rawhide on older wooden shields. Many blows caught by the shield will hit the edge and transmit maximum force so the extra strength at that point is important.

There are pics of both target and buckler in the originals gallery on our site.

Allan,
Thanks for information. I am very grateful.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Italian Targets
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic