Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Books on medieval battles Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Books on medieval battles         Reply with quote

Hi chaps,
Im a newbie to all this but am enthusiastically immersing myself in plenty of literature. I am looking for some books that describe medieval battles with plenty of battlefield maps and pictures of troop deployment during the course of the battles. I guess a bit like the TV program "time commanders" but with more learned commentary and emphasis on stratergy so i can get a feel for how these battles panned out. i appreciate any help offered as there are so many titles i dont know which to try. I would also be interested in any DVD suggestions aswell as some advice on excellent pictoral and text based books detailind medieval weapons , specifically swords of the ages . Thanks in advance.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check up De Re Militari's biubliography of medieval military history here:

http://www.deremilitari.org/biblio/recentbookspage.htm

Some people would recommend Charles Oman's History of the Art of War series or Hans Delbruck's books; they are good books indeed, but their analyses tend to be rather outdated so it would be a good idea to use them in conjunction with books utilizing more up-to-date scholarship such as Philippe Contamine's work or J.F. Verbruggen's The Art of War in Western Europe during the Middle Ages, from the eighth Century to 1340.

If you're looking specifically for the tactical aspect of medieval warfare, then Brian Tood Carey's Warfare in the Medieval World would be another book worth reading. I feel the need to point out, though, that his book does not look very strong on the strategic and macrohistorical aspects, sometimes resorting to outdated Omanesque or Delbruckian assertions--but I don't think that's such a major weakness in a book that so explicitly focuses itself on tactics.
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A book I have that I highly recommend is The Agincourt War by Alfred H. Burne. It discusses not only the famous battle that Henry V participated in, but a history of the second half of the Hundred Years War. There is also a companion to this book titled The Crecy War, same author and publisher (Wordsworth Ed.)

I also recommend that you check out the 'Features' section of myArmoury and look for the category 'The Paper Armoury.' Wink -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Burne's books? Well, they're good, but they're in the same old and rather outdated bracket as Delbruck's or Oman's books. I'd suggest using them only in conjucntion with newer books like Anne Curry's stuff on Agincourt.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

many thanks gentlemen! i certainly have an excellent starting point for my studies, and will ofcourse continue to use myArmoury as much as i can. Its refreshing to have poeple ready to help a releative newcomer! rob.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob,

Are you looking for battles from any period in the Middle Ages, or did you have a period you wanted to focus upon?
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi, i am interested in books from any period in the medieval time frame and i am also looking for a book or books that detail medieval weapons e.g sword types with pictures and diagrams aswell as any other weapons. i know there are many out there but it would cost a lot to buy lots when someone could direct me to one excellent encyclopedia.
cheers.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob Jones wrote:
hi, i am interested in books from any period in the medieval time frame and i am also looking for a book or books that detail medieval weapons e.g sword types with pictures and diagrams aswell as any other weapons. i know there are many out there but it would cost a lot to buy lots when someone could direct me to one excellent encyclopedia.
cheers.

If you want books with medieval weapons, I'd suggest picking up the various books written by Ewart Oakeshot. Also see if you can get things like books covering museum collections, such as the Wallace Catalogues.

As for battles, you may find that you have to look for books on specific battles to get the amount of detail you'd like. I enjoyed Peter Poyntz Wright's book on Hastings, which should probably be available at your nearest chain of book stores. Also, check around, because you should be able to find one or two books there on the Hundred Years War.

At the moment, I'm trying to locate a book dedicated to the Battle of Bouvines. I know there's one available in French, but I need a copy in English.
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i know it may be ststing the obvious but i find searching using amazon finds pretty much anything with the title you require, including academic papers , different editions and translations. worth a go if you havent already! ill check out those books you suggested , cheers.
heres the only item i found with bouvines in the title:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Bouvines-Relig...amp;sr=1-2
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob, have you tried the Osprey Campaign series of books? There are quite a few of them on medieval battles and campaigns. They cover the background, strategy, details of the battles and opposing armies. They are fairly short and well illustrated with photos, colour plates and maps. They may not have the detail that you are looking for but I find them informative and a good starting point for further research. Plus they are readily available in book shops and online at Amazon and Osprey's own website.
'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As already mentioned, the best place to go for an appreciation of weapons is Ewart Oakeshott's Archeology of Weapons. It is not a new book, but has been reprinted and is readily found and very affordable.

For a more sophisticated evaluation of battles than the Osprey books (which are limited by their size, but are very nicelly illustrated), try two books by John France - Victory in the East on the First Crusade, and Western Warfare in the Age of the Crusades; and Kelly deVries Infantry Warfare in the Early 14th Century which has a definite thesis in mind, but describes and shows far more battles than most books. Verbruggen's book is outstanding, but not light reading, while these others are more approachable.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob Jones wrote:
i know it may be ststing the obvious but i find searching using amazon finds pretty much anything with the title you require, including academic papers , different editions and translations. worth a go if you havent already! ill check out those books you suggested , cheers.
heres the only item i found with bouvines in the title:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Bouvines-Relig...amp;sr=1-2

Yes, that's the translation of the French version Le Dimanche de Bouvines, which is the only book on Amazon that I can find about the subject. The problem is that the book is supposedly as much about medieval thought as it is about the battle itself. Furthermore, Duby makes the absurd argument that death was unthinkable for knights in battle, and that battle for them was a "chivalric" sport. So, while I do want to learn more about Bouvines, this seems like a dubious source for information at best. Maybe the bibliography has a few good entries though.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix Wang wrote:
Kelly deVries Infantry Warfare in the Early 14th Century which has a definite thesis in mind, but describes and shows far more battles than most books.

Now, there. I'd second this recommendation. And it reminds me that de Vries has this article on the naval Battle of Sluys available for free:

http://www.deremilitari.org/resources/pdfs/devries2.pdf
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd also recommend deVries' book.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For some light, not too detailed overviews of a number of important battles in one book (with some slick maps showing step by step troop movements during the battles) check out:

Battles of the Medieval World by Kelly Devries, Martin Dougherty, and Iain Dickie
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really enjoyed this book: Agincourt: The King, the Campaign, the Battle by Juliet Barker.

The Burne books are dated but a decent start. You can also check the Source sections of our various Feature articles on Great Battles.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Tue 29 May, 2007 10:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd second Battles of the Medieval World by Kelly Devries, Martin Dougherty, and Iain Dickie,

Here are some others:

Arms, Armies and Fortifications in the Hundred Years War. Ed. A. Curry and M. Hughes. Woodbridge, 1994

Bennett, M., J. Bradbury, K. DeVries, I. Dickie, and P. Jestice. Fighting Techniques of the Medieval World, A.D. 500-150. Staplehurst, 2005.

Bradbury, J. The Medieval Siege. Woodbridge, 1994

Contamine, P. War in the middle ages. Oxford, 1985

Keen, M. Medieval Warfare. Oxford, 1999

RPM
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wink cheers chaps , an overwhelming response but mucho appreciated as the no.of titles available is mind boggling so knowing where to start is brilliant! I am a practicing martial artist (kick boxing) but was looking for a another disepline to study , but whilst in awe of the swordsmanship of the eastern arts i felt somewhat left out over here in the UK. and felt considering our long history i should be practicing something of relevance to my past. Hence my renewed interest in history and consequently my decision to try and train myselfy in the long sword, i have ordered several books from amazon and i intend to start collecting swords aswell. A group of my friends also have an interest (mostly in the sparring aspects) so i then looked into "REALISTIC SPARRING WEAPONS" and hope to start a monthly meet for all my interested friends. Thats me then - cheers for all your help! rob.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a reminder to book-buyers out there: Our Bookstore is fully integrated with Amazon and purchases through the Bookstore's cart or purchases made if you travel to Amazon through one of our links benefit the site and help us keep going.

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Rob Jones

PostPosted: Tue 29 May, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks for the reminder chada , as a new member i will perchase all my new books via the site . i didnt realise it worked via links i will do this also although being in the UK i am part of amazon.co.uk and im not sure if this allows me to buy from amazon.com? i tried something before and it wouldnt let me?as you can tell i am also a computer dunce!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Books on medieval battles
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: