Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Antiquities Market Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: The Antiquities Market         Reply with quote

I want a real gladius period. I want one that will hack, pierce and summon fear into the heart of an enemy. I am not a madman or a retard. I merely want something authentic as authentic can be. I know little of the antiquities market and even less of the market online. What types of things should I avoid in my search, what types of things should I look to?
As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher Lee Sullivan
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would hope you would not put an antique of any sort through such abuse. After 2000 years, you are not going to find a gladius in condition to do such things, and if you did, it would be unthinkable to do so with it. An antique gladius will have millenia of patination, and would not be servicible as a weapon anymore.
If you are looking for a functional gladius, one that you can hack and stab with, one that in form and function will be as the antiques were in their day, I suggest looking for a high end reproduction...

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you probably really want to be looking at the reproductions market rather then the antiquities market. I think it's highly unlikely that you can find or afford an antique gladius that would actually be usable.

In the reproductions arena so far as I know the best non-custom gladii are made by the folks at Albion Armorers. There are various custom makers around that can probably build you a gladius and also production shops making gladii of lesser quality then Albion. As for what to look for... I'm afraid you are going to have to be more specific about your criteria. Is price important? Historical accuracy? Materials used? A "real" gladius for "striking fear" is perhaps a bit vague...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Last edited by Russ Ellis on Thu 24 May, 2007 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
I would hope you would not put an antique of any sort through such abuse. After 2000 years, you are not going to find a gladius in condition to do such things, and if you did, it would be unthinkable to do so with it. An antique gladius will have millenia of patination, and would not be servicible as a weapon anymore.
If you are looking for a functional gladius, one that you can hack and stab with, one that in form and function will be as the antiques were in their day, I suggest looking for a high end reproduction...

Beat me to the punch...Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If such a surviving sword existed it would help if you are fabulously wealthy as well. The dollar value on a item of that sort would begin in the healthy five figure range and depending on who wants it at the auction stray into six. I would third what Robin said.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the responses to your first query: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p...ght=#99344

Jonathan
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want a real gladius, I suggest looking into reputable militaria auction houses or a well established antique dealer...
Again, any antique sword you buy will not be servicible as a weapon anymore. It will have to be treated like the antique it is, and carefully preserved. It will inspire awe because of its age, but it's not going to strike fear in anyone. But if only real will do, that is where I'd would begin the hunt.
Expect to pay alot, and be wary of anyone trying to sell you one that costs less than many thousands of dollars. Its not hard for a knowledgable person to fake something like this with judicious vinegar baths, or a season at the bottom of their swimming pool. As with anything, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. There are far more fakes out there than genuine artifacts. The more reasonable the price, or better the condition, the more likely it is a fake.

Caveat Emptor

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Antiquities Market
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic