Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Next Generation Swords Update Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Next Generation Swords Update         Reply with quote

In response to requests, we will now be offering several of our existing and planned models with the option of a waisted grip and half-wire wrap:

Leather Wrapped Waisted Grip (no extra charge):
Mercenary
Constable
Talhoffer

(The tapered grips will still be available.)

Waisted Grip with Half-wire Wrap ($200 charge):
Mercenary
Castellan
Constable
Talhoffer
Ringeck
Fiore
Munich
Regent
Earl
Hauptman
Markgraf
Viceroy

It will take me a while to update the individual sword pages, but these options are available in the meantime.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 03 May, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howie,

I must state that I'm really happy to see that Albion is giving their customers a few more options in customizing their swords.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bueno excellente!

Albion continues to be one of my main motivations to find better-paying work... Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is great, Howy. Glad to see this option available. Once again Albion delivers.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great !

Next step would be some blade-etching options I guess.... Wink

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 04 May, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blade etching would be great! I was wondering if you all did it -- was kicking around some wedding gift ideas for a friend, in case she decides to marry her guy.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Great !

Next step would be some blade-etching options I guess.... Wink

That, or allowing for pommel/guard swapping on swords... Wink
John Facundus

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would give a big thumbs up to the blade etching option! I would like to have a sword inscribed with the family name for my Dad. Big Grin
"Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts." Marcus Tulius Cicero
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Albion has done blade-etching in the past. They etched a piece for me and also etched the blade of one of their first-gen riding swords with the myArmoury logo as a contest prize.

I believe their maker's mark is etched in some way and it's light-years better than the older examples I've seen.

Engraving would be a better and more historical option than modern electro or acid etching, though it would probably be more expensive.

As for swapping pommels and guards, good luck. Happy This can often affect balance and isn't something makers who know a thing or two about balance generally like to do.

I wouldn't assume that a few new grip options would suddenly turn Albion into a fully custom shop, though. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

That, or allowing for pommel/guard swapping on swords... Wink

Guard swapping - perhaps
Pommel swapping - probably not, as that might well throw the sword's balance out of whack.

The Albion XVA's are already a group of swoppets, with 2 blades, 5 pommels, and 4 guards (or more if you want to count subleties)
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I could be misquoting him, but I believe that Peter Johnsson said that a good sword is already well balanced before the pommel is added to it. This would seem to imply that while a different pommel will affect the balance, it should not throw the entire sword "out of whack" so to speak. Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood Peter.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 05 May, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
I could be misquoting him, but I believe that Peter Johnsson said that a good sword is already well balanced before the pommel is added to it. This would seem to imply that while a different pommel will affect the balance, it should not throw the entire sword "out of whack" so to speak. Feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood Peter.

I believe this is a misquote.

I think it is more correct to say that the pommel is not a primary balancing element of a sword's dynamics, but rather only one part of the complex equation that defines a sword. Many simple designs and, I guess it's fair to say, lower-end designs, use the pommel as a primary means to achieve a balance point. These designs disregard the dynamics of the sword as a whole and only focus on the single element of balance point. On a good sword design, a change of pommel will affect a sword's dynamic properties. The real question is: To what degree?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On another note, that Next Generation "Soldat" grossemesser in their single edge section looks wicked. I'm surprised to see this as I don't remember it being there before.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
On another note, that Next Generation "Soldat" grossemesser in their single edge section looks wicked. I'm surprised to see this as I don't remember it being there before.

COOL! That looks like the prototype Meister that they had for sale many months ago. I guess they decided to make the simplified prototype a standard.

Nice to see a messer in production.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Craig Peters wrote:

I believe this is a misquote.

I think it is more correct to say that the pommel is not a primary balancing element of a sword's dynamics, but rather only one part of the complex equation that defines a sword. Many simple designs and, I guess it's fair to say, lower-end designs, use the pommel as a primary means to achieve a balance point. These designs disregard the dynamics of the sword as a whole and only focus on the single element of balance point. On a good sword design, a change of pommel will affect a sword's dynamic properties. The real question is: To what degree?

It could be that I did indeed misquote Peter, but you and I seem to be saying pretty much the same thing only in different words, no?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Jonathan Blair wrote:

COOL! That looks like the prototype Meister that they had for sale many months ago. I guess they decided to make the simplified prototype a standard.

Nice to see a messer in production.

The Soldat certainly wasn't there the last time I checked the single-edged sword section. Messers are not particularly my area of interest, but the Soldat intrigues me nonetheless.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Sun 06 May, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howard,
Will the "gothic" grip option also be avalible on other swords besides the Munich?
Robert B. Allison

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a question for Howard or Peter, and am not sure whether this is the best place to ask it, but the thread is about NextGen swords and recent developments so decided to give it a shot. I noticed when I went on Albion's website that they show a new sword called the Soldat, a messer. It appears to be the same as the Meister prototype that was featured a while back, but without the fullered grip. Meanwhile, I've had a Knecht on order for nearly 2 years now and a recent inquiry to Albion generated the reply that they are struggling with the fullered pommel, grip-panels, and guard. Can anyone comment on or describe what is causing the difficulty and when it might be resolved?
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
It could be that I did indeed misquote Peter, but you and I seem to be saying pretty much the same thing only in different words, no?

Sword makers have emphasized the importance of a pommel's mass to the harmonics of the blade. There's definitely more to the picture than static and dynamic "feel"...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:

The Soldat certainly wasn't there the last time I checked the single-edged sword section. Messers are not particularly my area of interest, but the Soldat intrigues me nonetheless.

I like Falchions and Messer, quite a bit! Apparently, the hilt fittings for the Meister and Knecht seem to be causing some manufacturing headaches (at least, that's the way I understand it). It was a very good idea for Albion to "throw us a bone" and allow us to sate our Messer hunger with a lower-cost version. I had been saving up for a Talhoffer, but now the Vassal and Soldat are each warranting a serious revision of my future purchasing plans...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Next Generation Swords Update
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: