Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chinese daos
Dear friends,

I am opening a thread on different types of Chinese daos. I realyl love these sabers. On the thread on Musée de l' armée I posted some excellent daos. Now I will post more.

Look at these five examples.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Huangfu

Attachment: 80.24 KB
dao42.jpg

Attachment: 87.26 KB
dao43.jpg

Dear friends,

Look at this dao. If I am not wrong this should be a yanmadao?

KInd regards

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Huangfu

Attachment: 52.2 KB
dao46.jpg

Attachment: 40 KB
dao47.jpg

Attachment: 36.69 KB
dao48.jpg

Attachment: 55.05 KB
dao49.jpg

Attachment: 52.84 KB
dao50.jpg

Attachment: 34.61 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 61.72 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 75.12 KB
[ Download ]
Thank you for sharing these Manouchehr; I'm always impressed by how an examination of weapons developed by various cultures reveals such a profound sense of form and function from around the World. it really displays the sophistication of various cultures from a plethora of regions and time periods.
Thank you for posting these pictures. For a guy who started out his sword appreciation with Japanese swords, I have come to really love Chinese daos and European swords. I've been lurking for a while reading old posts and stuff and now I feel comfortable enough to post. So I just wanted to say hello guys, I'm a new guy in town who really dig swords :lol:
Korey J. Lavoie wrote:
Thank you for sharing these Manouchehr; I'm always impressed by how an examination of weapons developed by various cultures reveals such a profound sense of form and function from around the World. it really displays the sophistication of various cultures from a plethora of regions and time periods.

Thank you very much Korey. Indeed you are right. Many cultures and each one shows such a high level of sophistication.

KInd regards

Manouchehr
Virak Ung wrote:
Thank you for posting these pictures. For a guy who started out his sword appreciation with Japanese swords, I have come to really love Chinese daos and European swords. I've been lurking for a while reading old posts and stuff and now I feel comfortable enough to post. So I just wanted to say hello guys, I'm a new guy in town who really dig swords :lol:

Virak

You are very welocme my friend.

KInd regards

Manouchehr
Dear friends,

I am posting more pictures of the single dao I posted above. Look at the blade pattern.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Huangfu

Attachment: 36.71 KB
dao51.jpg

Attachment: 19.3 KB
dao52.jpg

Attachment: 29.35 KB
dao53.jpg

Attachment: 26.93 KB
dao54.jpg

Attachment: 30.42 KB
dao55.jpg

Attachment: 19.09 KB
dao56.jpg

Dao number seven.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Huangfu

Attachment: 40.5 KB
dao33.jpg

Attachment: 94.89 KB
dao34.jpg

Attachment: 78.51 KB
dao35.jpg

Attachment: 92.91 KB
dao36.jpg

Dao number eight

I believe the handle wrapping should be a later replacement. A nice piece.

KInd regards

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Huangfu

Attachment: 49.47 KB
dao6.jpg

Attachment: 49.45 KB
dao7.jpg

Attachment: 51.07 KB
dao8.jpg

Attachment: 38.45 KB
dao9.jpg

Attachment: 43.43 KB
dao10.jpg

Attachment: 39.37 KB
dao11.jpg

Attachment: 56.8 KB
dao12.jpg

Attachment: 56.8 KB
dao13.jpg

Hmm. Very interesting--especially the practical and aesthetic use of the fullers in them. However, these all seem to be very well-made weapons--officers' weapons, perhaps? Do you have an example of a more "munitions-grade" weapon of this type?
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Hmm. Very interesting--especially the practical and aesthetic use of the fullers in them. However, these all seem to be very well-made weapons--officers' weapons, perhaps? Do you have an example of a more "munitions-grade" weapon of this type?

Hi Lafayette,

INdeed they are officers swords. I will look for a munition-grade weapon to post. But meanwhile I am posting another dao's pictures.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Attachment: 32.35 KB
[ Download ]
Manouchehr,
Those swords are too cool, especially the blade with the copper(?) inlays. I was surprised by
how slight the sabering of the blades was. They are so aesthetically pleasing to look at. Do you know
their statistics and date of manufacture?

Best,
Doug G.
Douglas G. wrote:
Manouchehr,
Those swords are too cool, especially the blade with the copper(?) inlays. I was surprised by
how slight the sabering of the blades was. They are so aesthetically pleasing to look at. Do you know
their statistics and date of manufacture?

Best,
Doug G.

Doug,

Thank you very much for your kind words and I am happy that you like them. Unfortunately I do not have the stats. but I will ask. If I cannot find I can give you some general statistics, as yanmados and liyuedaos were regulation patterns in China. They are really gorgeous. Chinese weapons are truly beautiful.

KInd regards

Manouchehr

Last edited by Manouchehr M. on Tue 10 Apr, 2007 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dear friends,

Another dao.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Hunagfu

Attachment: 23.5 KB
dao25.jpg

Attachment: 24.7 KB
dao26.jpg

Attachment: 27.51 KB
dao27.jpg

Attachment: 28.37 KB
dao28.jpg

Attachment: 27.38 KB
dao29.jpg

Attachment: 23.76 KB
dao30.jpg

Attachment: 20.23 KB
dao31.jpg

Attachment: 21.11 KB
dao32.jpg

Dear friends,

Another dao.

Kind regrdas

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Huangfu

Attachment: 26.58 KB
dao57a.JPG

Attachment: 36.45 KB
dao58.jpg

Great collection of Daos, the Huangfus always have excellent stuff, I have bought several jian from them and I have been very happy with the quality. I have a question about one of the dao's in the very first post, it is the one without the traditional wrap, and the more round tsuba-like guard, with the brass wrapping around the ray-skin handle. I have a sword, sold as a "river pirate" sword some years ago, with this exact hilt, however it is mounted with a Burmese Dha style blade. Can you tell me more about this hilt style and what period or area it was common in? I can find pics and post them when I get a chance.
They look sweet!, do some of those happen to be Qi-jia daos?! cause that'd be curious...
Nicholas Zeman wrote:
Great collection of Daos, the Huangfus always have excellent stuff, I have bought several jian from them and I have been very happy with the quality. I have a question about one of the dao's in the very first post, it is the one without the traditional wrap, and the more round tsuba-like guard, with the brass wrapping around the ray-skin handle. I have a sword, sold as a "river pirate" sword some years ago, with this exact hilt, however it is mounted with a Burmese Dha style blade. Can you tell me more about this hilt style and what period or area it was common in? I can find pics and post them when I get a chance.

Yes indeed Nicholas, Huangfu has excellent pieces. Which one are you exactly talking about? Could you post a picture of it here? I would appreciate to see pictures of your sword.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
Jack Yang wrote:
They look sweet!, do some of those happen to be Qi-jia daos?! cause that'd be curious...

Hi Jack, could you specify please what you mean with Qi-jia daos?

Kin dregards

Manouchehr
Another dao

KInd regards

Manouchehr

Courtesy of Alex Huangfu

Attachment: 30.86 KB
dao59.jpg

Attachment: 33.22 KB
dao60.jpg

Attachment: 44.31 KB
dao61.jpg