Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carrying a two-hander around town Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Carrying a two-hander around town         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Last year I ordered both an Armour Class claidheamh mor and an AT1591 from Angus Trim. Now (I hope) the wait should not be too long before one of those pretty, shinny big toys get completed and finally becomes mine... Big Grin

The problem I'm having is : how in the nine hell am I going to carry those giant swords around town from the salle to my apartment and vice-versa ? My CAS/Iberia katana bag (large version) certainly won't be able to contain those... Anyone knows a bag maker that makes a bag long and sturdy enough to carry a two-hander ?

All help appreciated. Happy

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Carrying a two-hander around town         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Hello everyone,

Last year I ordered both an Armour Class claidheamh mor and an AT1591 from Angus Trim. Now (I hope) the wait should not be too long before one of those pretty, shinny big toys get completed and finally becomes mine... Big Grin

The problem I'm having is : how in the nine hell am I going to carry those giant swords around town from the salle to my apartment and vice-versa ? My CAS/Iberia katana bag (large version) certainly won't be able to contain those... Anyone knows a bag maker that makes a bag long and sturdy enough to carry a two-hander ?

All help appreciated. Happy

Large rifle case or musical instrument case ( they sometimes look alike ). Better if it doesn't look like a rifle case as that might attract unwanted " Fear/ paranoia " from the public. Doesn't hurt to have some documentation on you about your Salle or organized training group to show some curious police officer that although you where not carrying a rifle that you do have a credible reason carrying around a couple of large sharp swords.

A lot depends on your area ! What might not even get a second glance in some areas could have a whole SWAT team asking pointed questions from behind their gun sights.

Just things to consider and I am giving you the worse case scenario: Just good to consider what you look like to others when carrying stuff !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sew yourself a simple sword bag.
One chunk of velvet or canvas. A simple "L" shaped stitch and a cord to tie over the folded over top excess. Take you a whole 20 min-hour depending on your desire and skill.
Then its just a bulky sack on your shoulder.

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Andrew Fox

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've found that ski bags work pretty well for Zweihanders. Plenty of room and easy to carry.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, large hockey bad might also work Wink
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found hockey bags weren't long enough for bastard swords and longer and my ski bag can't accommodate the width of the cross-guard of a couple of my swords. However, I did find that snowboard bags are long and wide enough.
Douglas G. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Carrying a two-hander around town         Reply with quote

I just ordered my first sword, and I thought of this issue. My sword is the Albion Squire line Bastard, and Albion sells what appears to be rifle hard cases to carry their swords in, so I orderd one to go with it. Jean has an excellent point as far as being aware of the area you are carrying the sword in. Here in hyper-sensative Los Angeles, the "swat team response" is a very real possibility. I've always been cautious with putting my cased long guns in my vehicle. What I usually do is to back the car into the garage, and then store them in the vehicle as quickly as possible so as not to "alarm" the neighbors. I think it pays to be discrete.

Doug
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It probably goes without saying, but I would take the time to check the state/local statutes around the issue. Also if you happen to know anyone on the local constabulary, ask them for suggestions/recommendations on how to avoid any difficulties should you come in contact with the law. Just my 2 cents Happy
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It never hurts to be up front and honest with a local law enforcement guy. Its not like jhe's gonna forget a guy asking him about the legality of a sword+rifle case. Find an office that is reasonable and freindly and be sure to get his card and toss it in the case. If there is a problem refer to the card and see if it helps.

When I shipped my Del tin Two hander, I guess the UPS guy thought it was a "lawn cross". lol, "uh... sure......"

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Were I live the regulations are a bit blurry concerning the transportation of swords. I think the law allows it has long as it is "for a reasonable purpose". I guess bringing some documentation and the association t-shirt with me wouldn't hurt.

I bought myself a riffle case some time ago, but I found that the way people looked at me while I was carrying my longsword in it made me felt a bit uneasy. I suppose that the beard and black leather coat didn't helped either... Well, now after the Kimveer Gill incident (someone entered a school with a riffle and shot two students) I think I won't even dare carrying a riffle case any more.

I think I will check for ski bags (maybe a large ski bag allowing the storage of more than one pair ?) or, as Alex suggested, try to make one myself.

Thanks. Big Grin

Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Carrying a two-hander around town         Reply with quote

Douglas G. Taylor wrote:
I just ordered my first sword, and I thought of this issue. My sword is the Albion Squire line Bastard, and Albion sells what appears to be rifle hard cases to carry their swords in, so I orderd one to go with it. Jean has an excellent point as far as being aware of the area you are carrying the sword in. Here in hyper-sensative Los Angeles, the "swat team response" is a very real possibility. I've always been cautious with putting my cased long guns in my vehicle. What I usually do is to back the car into the garage, and then store them in the vehicle as quickly as possible so as not to "alarm" the neighbors. I think it pays to be discrete.

Doug

Isn't 'discretion' a cause for alarm in the first place??

I live in a country that has been experiencing actual terrorism for over half a century now and weapon controll is strict to the extreme. However 'the law' is also well belanced about it. Our local policia and the regional guadia is well aware of who has what and where.
Being upfront about it is far les likely to upset the neighbours and the law. I guess marking your car with húge RE-EN-ACT-MENT graphics would be a better idea than stealth?

Also, don't you have hunters out there?? and who has all those guns are around in the us then?

Mind you, I wouldn't like the idea of a us-style SWAT-team either....

Peter
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, this

is me riding to town this EasterSunday morning.
Sometimes I carry replica pistols and/or a sidesword.
NO WAY anybody would consider me to be a potential terrorist threat Razz

Peter
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Were I live the regulations are a bit blurry concerning the transportation of swords. I think the law allows it has long as it is "for a reasonable purpose". I guess bringing some documentation and the association t-shirt with me wouldn't hurt.

I bought myself a riffle case some time ago, but I found that the way people looked at me while I was carrying my longsword in it made me felt a bit uneasy. I suppose that the beard and black leather coat didn't helped either... Well, now after the Kimveer Gill incident (someone entered a school with a riffle and shot two students) I think I won't even dare carrying a riffle case any more.

I think I will check for ski bags (maybe a large ski bag allowing the storage of more than one pair ?) or, as Alex suggested, try to make one myself.

Thanks. Big Grin

The AT1591 is just under 56 inch total length, and it would be very difficult to find a rifle case that long....... I'm switching back to rifle case shipment over the next two months, but I cannot with the 1591, because the longest rifle case I can find is 52 inches.......that and shipment into Canada in a rifle case draws that "unwanted attention" at customs.......

swords are fun
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, while the rifle case draws a bit of attention, the customs people KNOW how they are supposed to handle those.
Nothing is worse than a confused law enforcer. Most of the time, they'll say no just in case.

In my experience, being straight forward and honest does the trick, as long as you look like you know who you are what you are doing.

If all else fails, a couple of garbage bags and duct tape should work as well.

My favorite is a friend of mine from Oslo, who carries his sword and buckler in a banjo case...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Kerry G. Neuls

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would say a rifle case would be your best way to go unless you wanted to make something yourself.

If you have the coin you could get a case made. Someone like these guys

www.rockhardcases.com

www.hardcase.co.nz

If you get one of these in bright orange no would think you had something to hide Big Grin
http://www.militarycases.com/StormCases.html

I wouldn't recommend any of these companys without trying them myself but they might be a way to go. I'm sure there are more options out there.

I wonder about a fishing rod case? any thoughts anyone

And in this moment...
I will not run, it is my place to stand
we few shall carry hope
within our bloodied hands

---Winter Born---
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you live in the US, even a major metropolitain are like NYC, you have no need to concern yourself with the legality of carying a sword in a bag. Carying a sword openly, as in not in a bag, however, can lead to trouble, but not usually..

One of NYHFA's members is a NYC police officer and he routinely carries his scabbarded sword in his hand to and from his house. He has walked past police cars, police stations, officers on foot patrol, and god knows what else. Alhtough he is not risking arrest (as he is a cop), the fact that he is a cop is not written on his forehead. No one has ever bothered him in any way. Of course he does not dress in gangster clothing and does not walk aroudn accompanied by a group of thugs all carying swords. Such behavior will likely get you shot.

Swords, in the US, are not considered weapons, unless you are brandishing one about madly, and then it does not matter if it is a sword, a hockey club, magic wand, etc.

We practice outside, and the only time the police stop by is when one of them is curious about what we do, usually being a martial artist himself.

Are there wacky towns/cities in the US that will arrest you on sight for walking around with a sword in a bag? Maybe. I don't know. But if NYC is not one of them, I can't imagine such a place.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe one day when I'll be richer I'll order one of those cool cases from www.rockhardcases.com. Yeah, a big bright one with a few beer stickers on it would be cool. Laughing Out Loud

Michael, the main reason while I can't just carry a naked blade on my shoulder like a landsknecht (although I would like to Wink) is because I use public transportation and don't want to risk an accident. It's not just a question of concealment... I also want to avoid impaling someone.

Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Swordforum has a legal issues forum which may be better at directly addressing any legality questions.

For instance, my understanding is that in Massachusetts (where I live) any sword is illegal; but you're unlikely to get busted for it if you don't do anything stupid.

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
For instance, my understanding is that in Massachusetts (where I live) any sword is illegal; but you're unlikely to get busted for it if you don't do anything stupid.

I guess this is kind of the point I was trying to make earlier. Each state will have its own set of laws that apply to weapons. In addition, each county or municipality may have rules that need to be followed as well. Add to that the reality of how the laws are interpreted or followed by local law enforcement and you will have a pretty good idea of just how to tote your swords around. It is best to do a little leg work in advance and avoid grief and aggravation in the long run Happy

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Swordforum has a legal issues forum which may be better at directly addressing any legality questions.

What makes you think swords are illegal in Massachusetts? I just read the Massachusetts "general laws" and while things like sword canes are prohibited, there is no mention of the illegality of swords. Also, when something is illegal in a state, catalogues usuallys state "cannot be shipped to (insert your state)".

As for carying swords, I would imagine it would fall under Massachusetts knife carying laws:

16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR SIMILAR WEAPONS.

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited.
No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2½ ) inches, ice picks, dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another, except:

a. When actually engaged in hunting or fishing or any employment, trade or lawful recreational or culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or

b. In going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or

c. If the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported.

Which means you can carry it if you're going to practice.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Carrying a two-hander around town
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: