Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

I like the simple design on the opposite side of the sword. Is this conjecture or did you get more information in the original?
Hi Doug,

I couldn't get a clear image of the inlay so I got this one from another well known ingelrii.
So there was a setback with the sword. Jeff accidentally made the blade too short. I was really impressed that he made a new one to see to it that I was satisfied. Outstanding customer service in my opinion! I really liked the first blade but Jeff suggested a change and I suggested one too. He wanted to make the inlay fit the fuller a little tighter and I wanted the inlay on the back changed from a cross potent to four "V" shapes facing one another. The results are spectacular! The grinding isn't done but you get the idea...

Attachment: 31.04 KB
P1170089[1].JPG

Attachment: 35.76 KB
P1170094[1].JPG

Attachment: 32.33 KB
P1170096[1].JPG

Ooooh - love the shape, that's a classic profile for the period. The surface and inlay are going to be beautiful when that one gets polished up. I'm not surprised that Jeff would do a re-do if you or he were not happy - he's quite the perfectionist. I figured something like that was going on when this thread went quiet for a while.

Keep em coming! :)
Here's a few pics of the blade a little cleaned up. It's looking great so far...

Attachment: 36.94 KB
P1190114[1].JPG

Attachment: 42.95 KB
P1190113[1].JPG

Attachment: 46.57 KB
P1200119[1].JPG

Tim Lison wrote:
Here's a few pics of the blade a little cleaned up. It's looking great so far...

Hell yeah!
Oh man this is going to be sweet :lol:
Looking fabulous!!
Just got pics of the hilt fittings and they couldn't be more perfect! Jeff really nailed it in my opinion!

Attachment: 48.03 KB
P1270149[1].JPG

Tim Lison wrote:
Just got pics of the hilt fittings and they couldn't be more perfect! Jeff really nailed it in my opinion!

Agreed! I'm looking forward to the next update.
Here are the latest pictures. The hilt fittings have been cleaned and the blade is done. Now for the grip and scabbard!

Attachment: 27.19 KB
P1300155[1].JPG

Attachment: 24.91 KB
P1300156[1].JPG

Attachment: 23.66 KB
P1300157[1].JPG

Attachment: 25.63 KB
P1300162[1].JPG

[ Linked Image ]
Just so nice in so many ways. I am very happy for you :D
this blade is awesome!
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement gentlemen. Inlayed blades have always been such an important element of viking swords. I am grateful to Tim for giving me the oportunity to tackle such an interesting a chalenging blade.

Jeff
Jeff, am I right that you did some more work on the blade profile to bring it closer to the original? At first it seemed like a simple accelerating convex profile but now I am seeing a touch of concavity near the forte, like the original.

I've said it before, but what I love about swords like this is that the beauty arises not from additional decorations, but from the form itself, which in turn arises from functional considerations. The same can be said of fine tools in general.

The inlay just gives it that extra authenticity missing from many production replicas.
i love that blade! the inlay, the profile, everything. congratulations!
Oooooh man... Mr. Helmes seems to be impressing me a lot lately.
The proportions of pommel, handle length and length/narrowness of guard are very harmonious ..... and the blade as mentioned by others is exquisite. :D :cool:
Here are the latest shots. Jeff has the grip ready and the scabbard with strap bridge underway. It's looking great. The addition of the grip really shows how nice the proportions of this sword are.

Attachment: 41.48 KB
P2030170[1].JPG

Attachment: 34.71 KB
P2030172[1].JPG

Attachment: 33.91 KB
P2030173[1].JPG

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 2 of 4

Jump to: