Atrim 1520
I've been looking at longswords while saving my pennies. I was curious about Angus Trim's AT1520 MKII Type XVIIIb. I did a search and was having trouble finding a review. If there's anyone who owns/ has used one, I'd be curious to know what they thought of it. Also, how does this sword compare to Albion's Regent? (not really looking for a better/worse answer) Thanks for the help.
Re: Atrim 1520
Ian F. wrote:
I've been looking at longswords while saving my pennies. I was curious about Angus Trim's AT1520 MKII Type XVIIIb. I did a search and was having trouble finding a review. If there's anyone who owns/ has used one, I'd be curious to know what they thought of it. Also, how does this sword compare to Albion's Regent? (not really looking for a better/worse answer) Thanks for the help.

Here is the link to our review of one, albeit dressed up by Christian Fletcher.

I'll do some comparison between it and the Regent tomorrow, as I have both here right now. Off the top of my head, though, they're both extremely different from eachother. There's really not vary many similarities between the two.
I own a Christian Fletcherized 1520, very much like the one in the review. I'm very fond of it. Very fast, and very light. While I often times prefer slightly heavier blades, I still really like this one. I know someone with a non-modified one straight from Gus, and it feels a little heavier. In terms of bare handling, I happen to like the standard stock version more, though Christian's customization didn't change it enough for me to dislike it. All in all I'm very happy with the sword, particularly if you like really long blades. I find it works fantastic with the Liechtanauer school of fencing.
Hi Ian,

I'm a very proud owner of a 1520 MKII, and it's an absolutely fantastic sword. I can't recommend it enough. It's got a beautiful blade profile and handles wonderfully. I can't claim to be a collector (yet)--it's my only high-end sword at this point--but I've handled/cut with several other ATrims and one comparable type XVIIIb--Arms & Armor's Durer bastard sword (the one reviewed by Bill Grandy on this site--also quite nice) and I like the 1520 best of all. I think it has a little more blade presence than the Durer because the center of balance is slightly different. I haven't handled the Albion Regent, so I can't speak to that comparison.

My 1520 is the standard model with blackened guard/pommel--looks exactly like the picture on the All Saints Blades site. James Byrnes has a complete review of his customized 1520 here on myArmoury:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_cf_at1520.html

I agree with everything James says in his review about how nicely it handles. It's a wonderful sword, and you'll be quite happy with it.

Eric
Ah, and Eric here was the one whom I mentioned owning the standard version. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: