The Baron is coming!
Couldn't sleep last night... I knew I'd be ordering this morning.... and now I'm doomed to press my nose against the window and wait for a 'white' package. Just ordered my first REAL sword, the next gen Baron!! :D

Now my question to all of you is where can I learn to use it? From what I've been able to surmise, most practicing western martial arts schools are on the coasts or Canada. Is there anyone around Chicago? I'm also not sure whether it needs to be ARMA or SCA or whatever :\ Please edumicate me!! :)

Much thanks in advance!

Scott
Re: The Baron is coming!
Scott H. wrote:
Now my question to all of you is where can I learn to use it? From what I've been able to surmise, most practicing western martial arts schools are on the coasts or Canada. Is there anyone around Chicago? I'm also not sure whether it needs to be ARMA or SCA or whatever :\ Please edumicate me!! :)
Much thanks in advance! Scott

Hi Scott

Checkout these folks .....
http://www.chicagoswordplayguild.com/

Mac
thanks Mac
Thanks Mac! You are a gentleman and a scholar! :)

I'll check them out.

Scott
Re: The Baron is coming!
Scott H. wrote:
Couldn't sleep last night... I knew I'd be ordering this morning.... and now I'm doomed to press my nose against the window and wait for a 'white' package. Just ordered my first REAL sword, the next gen Baron!! :D

Scott,
Congrats on the Baron. My own Baron just shipped today. Enjoy it! :)
Since I'm waiting for one of these also I feel your pain :)
Congrats! I have a Baron ordered that will be on the way soon as well. I have "waffled" between a couple of the NextGens, but seeing and holding the Baron at Blade this year convinced me that ( although they are ALL fantastic) the Baron was the one for me. Thanks again, Mike :) ) I'm sure you'll love it!

James
Re: thanks Mac
Not sure if this is a drive you could pull off every day, but in Madison, WI, there is Bob Charron and St. Martin's Academy. I've been taking lessons from Bob since January, and it's been a fascinating experience. Bob teaches from Fior di Battaglia, the treatise by Fiore dei Liberi.
A very nice choice :cool:

For a big war sword mine simply floats in my hands and It cuts like a demon too :D

If you want to learn proper swordsmanship I'd advise to stay away from the SCA. They can offer some good things and you will have fun but many of their practices are not historically accurate and they have far too many rules.
baron is coming
Wow! 'Seems I made a good choice. (As well as a popular one) Gary, did you say you've already got one? You must have been first in line!

Has anybody found a less expensive scabbard for this sword? I love what the guys have at Albion but starting at $500, I think I'd like to put that money towards my next sword :D

Also, thanks everybody for the suggestions on training. I look forward to seeing how that pans out!

Have a great day!
Scott
Re: baron is coming
Scott H. wrote:
Wow! 'Seems I made a good choice. (As well as a popular one) Gary, did you say you've already got one? You must have been first in line!

Has anybody found a less expensive scabbard for this sword? I love what the guys have at Albion but starting at $500, I think I'd like to put that money towards my next sword :D

Also, thanks everybody for the suggestions on training. I look forward to seeing how that pans out!

Have a great day!
Scott

Give Christian Fletcher a look. He makes a very nice scabbard, and his basic prices are quire reasonable. Art Elwell is also another good choice.
Re: baron is coming
Scott H. wrote:

Patrick's suggestions are very good ones. But did you realize Albion has their campaign line of scabbards? Those are much plainer, but sturdy and solid, and cheaper, and you won't have to ship the sword out. But I can understand if you want something fancier.

And if you're a member of the special offers and promotions group here on myArmoury, you'll get a discount in the month of June on them.

There's also our very own and beloved Russ Ellis at www.tritonworks.com
Tom Carr makes nice wooden scabbards.
Here's one thread showing one of his scabbards:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34383

Here's a review of that scabbard from the person who bought it:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34221

And here's a more recent ATrim scabbard he made:
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36400
Jesse Bailey is another great choice. You can see some pics here of what he made for me: http://www.myArmoury.com/chad_swor_arm_s4.html?2.

He doesn't have a website just for his scabbards, but you can do a search on this board and find a few threads about him. He's part of a reenactment troupe, and their website has pics of scabbards and saddles he's made (http://www.novae-militiae.com/Pictures/Equipm...swords.htm).His email is wensdie@yahoo.com. The scabbard is really nice, and the turnaround time was really good. His prices for a wool-lined, leather covered wooden scabbard with period belt attachments are less than most as well.

Since he's part of that troupe, historical accuracy is a high priority. Jesse even goes so far as to make his own dyes for some colors (black is a combination of iron filings and vinegar, etc.)
scabbards
Thanks Glen! Thanks Chad!

Those look very nice too! Decisions, decisions! :D

Last edited by Scott H. on Mon 21 Jun, 2004 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Since I'm waiting for one of these also I feel your pain :)

Hey, Patrick!

I was at Albion last week. I hope you don't mind that I got to hold your Baron. Want to sell it? ;)
My Baron has arrived Scott, and you're going to like it :D
baron
Patrick-
I am SO jealous! I was out of town for Father's Day and REALLY wanted to come home to a nice package. But I know it's on its way!! :p
Enjoy yours in good health! ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: