Height for using the Baron?
I am wondering if anyone knows how tall someone should be to use Albion's Next Generation Baron. I'm guessing the original was a Knightly sword, so the wielder would have been about 6'3"-6'4". Does anyone know if it's scaled down from the sword they based it on?
Since it is designed after several pieces I would supect it was made for the average height of a knight of this time.165-180 cm.
Re: Height for using the Baron?
Matt Shields wrote:
I am wondering if anyone knows how tall someone should be to use Albion's Next Generation Baron. I'm guessing the original was a Knightly sword, so the wielder would have been about 6'3"-6'4". Does anyone know if it's scaled down from the sword they based it on?

Not sure what you mean about "Knightly sword"

There is no historical evidence depicting Knights as big or tall giants. I'm sure some would have been large men but not overly large. Most period fighting manuals show men of average size with an athletic build and some Masters even state that this was prefered for a swordsman. I own the Baron and it seems to be of proper historical length. I stand about 6' in height and it suits me perfectly fine :D

I must also say for a large sword the Baron is quite lively and handles like a dream. :cool:
Height??
I can be wrong so someone can argue this but in the middle age people were rarely 6ft tall. I visited Turun linna last week, it is castle in Finland. The armours and beds were made for people with 160-170cm average height. And what would your height affect the handling of the sword? My opinion is that the swordsmans skill is the major factor. Almost every European civilisation had much larger swords in that time(German Landsknecht schwert could be over 6ft). And the people were smaller than now because they did not have enough and different kinds of food.
Sorry for late replying but i just joined the site ;)
I'm only 5' 7", but I had fun swinging around my old Del Tin 2163. That sword was gigantic. But because of my strength and larger upper body, I can wield it without too much problem.

I am certain the Baron would be considerably lighter and easier to swing too.
Re: Height??
Jussi Ekholm wrote:
I can be wrong so someone can argue this but in the middle age people were rarely 6ft tall. I visited Turun linna last week, it is castle in Finland. The armours and beds were made for people with 160-170cm average height. And what would your height affect the handling of the sword? My opinion is that the swordsmans skill is the major factor. Almost every European civilisation had much larger swords in that time(German Landsknecht schwert could be over 6ft). And the people were smaller than now because they did not have enough and different kinds of food.
Sorry for late replying but i just joined the site ;)

Another Finn! Tervetuloa!

Actually, people back then were not much shorter than we are today. If I happen to remember correctly, it was common practise to sleep in a slightly upright position, with cushions under the back, so the shortness of the beds is quite understandable. Also, some suits of armor were made for non-full-grown people. It was not until the industrial revolution that the height of the average European fell heavily.

Sincerely,
Rabbe

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: