A sword is created
Some of you may have already seen this, but if not you need to head over to Jacob Powning's site and check this out. Fascinating...

http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/progress1.htm
Very interesting photo spread, and a beautiful sword too.
Amazing
Russ,

Thats a very cool read, and sword, thanks for sharing the link.

James
Thought you might like that one Patrick. I was hoping that I would find some progress shown on my own commission but no such luck. Drat!
Darn.

Just when I thought I had this beautiful sword OUT of my mind, it comes roaring back. Thanks alot! ;)

Just kidding. Great article there, great pics too. I don't know what is more magnificent, the sword or the scabbard...
Thanks for this post.

I really like it when people put together "process" things like this. Gives a neat view inside the process of creation. And what a creation it is.
It really is an extraordinary piece of work. Jake is a top flight talent in my opinion.
Wow.

Brian M

P.S. Wow.
Re: A sword is created
Russ Ellis wrote:
Some of you may have already seen this, but if not you need to head over to Jacob Powning's site and check this out. Fascinating...

http://www.powning.com/jake/commish/progress1.htm

I didn't know anyone did composite pattern-welding anymore. Once again, Jake's talent for carving knotwork remains virtually unparalleled (with a noteable exception being Garth Duncan). Beautiful sword. Might look even better fullered ;)
Man that's great. I especially like the finish on the bronze furniture- not to shiny.
I've heard this smith's name before, but haven't seen his work until now. Excellent work... just excellent. That blade is outstanding. Going through and looking at some of his work showed me some pretty cool grips as well. What does an average sword run from him, does anyone know?
I don't think he does any "typical" work. :) I think he prices each piece on a per job basis so it's hard to say what his range is. I would guess between 1000 and 2000 dollars or at least that's what my commission has cost. I'm betting no one else gets a sword like mine for that price though. :) Not because I'm special, but mostly just because I don't think Jake knew exactly what he was getting in to. :)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: