Austro-Hungarian Grenadiers Sword, 1765
[ Linked Image ]
This is an Austro-Hungarian Grenadiers sword from 1765 with a typical 18th-century Eastern European hussar-style brass hilt with a wooden grip bound with cord and covered with leather. The single-edged heavy blade is slightly curved. On the ricasso is stamped the letter “P”. The entire length of the sword is 29 inches in a straight line. No scabbard. Length of blade: 23 ½ inches. Width of blade: 1 ½ inches.
Ohhh, this is the 'big brother' to the Fusilier's sword that I bought a short while ago (a whole inch of so longer). I've had the chance to handle one of these as well. To be honest they do not seem heavy for their size. They have a very nice taper running down them which makes the blade quite lively as it is not too long but also still have a decent about of presence behind it!
[ Linked Image ]
Here is the hilt's detail. Note the "P" on the blade.
Colin, you told me that this sword is similar to the Fusiliers' sword you bought today. Do you have any photos?
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=

If you go to this thread you will see the pics that I uploaded. The P stands for Pottenstein in Austria where the blade was made.
Thanks for informing.
Colin, will you be finding a handle for your sword?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: