Suggestions for Practice Rapiers
Hello, after much (and I mean a whole helleva lot) consideration, I've decided the best sword for me would be the rapier both collection and study. I wanted to ask for some suggestions of which makers of practice rapiers I should consider. Price would be a bit of an issue, I'd like to spend about $400. Looks are secondary, just want a really well made, well-balanced practice rapier (for the price of course). I've read some of the reviews and know of Darkwood Armoury, Arms and Armor of course. I've just recently heard of Rogue Steel, Has anyone had experience with them? All suggestions and advice would be appreciated.
Truthfully I have no experience with rogue steel. They appear to be offering their rapiers with either schlager or double wide epee blades (musketeer). In either case if you are looking for a period rapier that approximates the performance and overall feel and balance of a true historical example stay away from either of those two blade choices. Neither a schlager nor a double wide epee performs like a historically correct rapier blade. If you are looking for a good rapier simulator in your price range that performs like a real historic rapier, look into Darkwood. Scott Wilson’s products come extremely close in their performance and handling to a true historic rapier. As for Arms and Armor, they make an extremely fine product but they may be out of your price category.
Darkwood Armory is great.
I ordered my first (and only) custom rapier from them because production rapiers (Hanwei for example) are too long for me.
They made a real sturdy, perfectly balanced fighting piece. If I ever feel the need to get another custom sword its probably going to be from Darkwood.
Thanks guys, I was probably going to order from Darkwood, they do seem to offer a fine product, and most are pretty economical.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: