Go to page Previous  1, 2

Hugh Knight wrote:
Sean Flynt wrote:
FWIW, this is the way I carry a sharp from my shop to my library. It's the safest way to carry a bare blade, in my view. Has to be point-up to avoid pets and kids, and resting against the downward extended arm and shoulder prevents damage to walls, fixtures, etc.

I agree, and I think the simple common sense of it is what caught my eye first. The over-the-shoulder carry seen in other sources can be scary; turn sharply to look at something and you can cut your buddy's head off.

Exactly. With the arm cocked baseball-bat-style, you also have a good opportunity to give yourself a nice draw cut across the jugular if you stumble. The instinctive reaction is to drop the hands to break your fall, and....zzzzip!

I've received minor cuts a few times in the shop when working on swords so I have a healthy respect for edges. It's shocking how easily a sword edge will open you up.
Hroarr Hema Resources on facebook has been collecting a large number of pics in relation to the schools teaching swordsmanship in Europe... focus is on the guilds... Marxbrueder (symbol of the Lion) and in this case the Gryphon symbol of the Freifechter.
Sean Flynt wrote:
Exactly. With the arm cocked baseball-bat-style, you also have a good opportunity to give yourself a nice draw cut across the jugular if you stumble. The instinctive reaction is to drop the hands to break your fall, and....zzzzip!

I've received minor cuts a few times in the shop when working on swords so I have a healthy respect for edges. It's shocking how easily a sword edge will open you up.

Truth. And even though we're just carrying Fechterspiels in our formal exercises, the matter of principle still applies.
Christopher Treichel wrote:
Hroarr Hema Resources on facebook has been collecting a large number of pics in relation to the schools teaching swordsmanship in Europe... focus is on the guilds... Marxbrueder (symbol of the Lion) and in this case the Gryphon symbol of the Freifechter.

Excellent, thanks. I'll have to go find their page.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: