The 'Turing Stone' Two hander, c. 1411
[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Photos : The 15th Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue , D.A. Oliver .
Curious was it really supposed to be a two hander? The swords pictured look rather oversized in general porportionally to the men pictured. Pommels crosses etc. all seem to be out of scale.
Russ Ellis wrote:
Curious was it really supposed to be a two hander? The swords pictured look rather oversized in general porportionally to the men pictured. Pommels crosses etc. all seem to be out of scale.

Hi Russ

There is always uncertainty, & speculation ,when interperting these old slabs ..... one can never be sure !

Here's a snippet from the article :

[ Linked Image ]

If your interested I can send you the complete article, as I uploaded the pages in jpg form !

Mac
If you don't mind I would love to see the whole thing.
Russ Ellis wrote:
If you don't mind I would love to see the whole thing.

Hi Russ

I private messaged you the links ! Let me know what you think !

Mac
Would it be possible to obtain a whole article?

Best regards
Bart Walczak
Bart Walczak wrote:
Would it be possible to obtain a whole article?
Best regards Bart Walczak

Hi Bart

I privated messaged you the article !

Mac
Well it was a totally fascinating article but I don't think that the author convincingly addresses the point that the swords might have just been badly carved. I'm not saying that they were not two handers just that he did not do a good job of proving it. He did do a good job of showing that there were contemporary two handers in existence and so that these swords COULD have been two handers.
Russ Ellis wrote:
Well it was a totally fascinating article but I don't think that the author convincingly addresses the point that the swords might have just been badly carved. I'm not saying that they were not two handers just that he did not do a good job of proving it. He did do a good job of showing that there were contemporary two handers in existence and so that these swords COULD have been two handers.

based on one of my Art history classes, proportion, and perspective was just being introduced into european art in the early 15c. Before that, the size of an object, or person in artwork was based on its/their importance relative to other elements of the piece, not actual size to the other elements. (A king would be painted larger than his subjects regardless of his placement in a painting).
The swords do appear out of scale so in the above carving the figure with the larger sword could have a higher social standing.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: