New to Board - Advice
Hello all, very interesting topics I have been browsing.

I found this site because I noticed links coming from here and then found someone had posted a link to an item I have on ebay.

Perhaps someone could help me with proper books or websites to help identify hundreds of items I have.

I am selling my boss's collection as he will be retiring in a couple of years and will not have space or the ability to keep his collection. Many of the items, swords, maces, daggers, etc. Were purchased privately or through auctions...however, much of the paperwork, COA, and invoices have been lost or I can't find them.

I am stuck browsing hundreds of sites and many of his books, but they are mostly text books and the information is scattered, so it's been tough properly describing them.

I am very interested in many of these pieces myself, so I have the enthusiasm to do this myself, I just thought perhaps some advice on where to start would help.

I have reluctantly posted some items, because they were easy to find, or my boss remembered where or what it was exactly. However, I have hundreds just sitting waiting to be listed.

I do not know terminology very well, so that has been one of my hangups, buy I am learning...the more I have learned, the easier it's been getting.

One problem I have, is that bidders often contact me to tell me I posted a "fake", but they would gladly buy the item at discount, because it's an "exceptional fake"....wether or not these are shady dealers or not, trying to get something for nothing I wouldn't know...I just ignore them.

Considering my boss has purchased from christies and such, if he has purchased fakes...then what can he do, but how can I know. This is for his retirement and he is not looking to make money, but at least get what he put in if the items are genuine.

Sorry for the lenghty post, I thought if I put it all on the table, being a newbie...I might get some help.

Oh, the item that brought me here....is the ballock dagger with sheath that is in the "ebay items" discussion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...eName=WD1V

One other thing, I'm willing to pay a nominal/fair fee or present some items to someone for their time and proper description. Alternatively, if there is a website where I can upload a picture and get value and description(that I will pay for), that would be appreciated.

I have only found this: (but I'm not sure that's what will help me)

www.artfact.com

Thanks for reading if you made it to the end!

Joel
Joel, theres alot of knowledge floating around here your best bet is to post pics and ask for opinions and see what turns
up . The "its a fake but and exceptional fake " thing sounds like something an antique dealer would say to get something for nothing .
Hi Allan, thank you very much for replying.

I just read the great article on this site, I think it was titled "is it real"....what a great article.

I also noticed many more articles that I will surely read, that I know can help.

Perhaps if the users of this forum will help me identify certain items, I can contribute back somehow. Suggestions would be appreciated.

If this is the right forum( "off topic") to list some pictures, then I will get started.

Thanks again,

Joel
I'm nobody around here but I think you could post your pics and enquieries here or under historic arms talk (thats where we post all the pics of new period armour we get in ) . I just like getting to see pics of unpublished pieces so i'm all about you posting pics either way but at least in my mind letting folks get to see otherwise unavaliable examples would be
"giving something back " as I think you put it . You could always check with Nathan or one of the other moderators if your in doubt about anything .

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: