Bascinet question Re: Steel Mastery
After seeing Lloyd Clark's post about his new Steel Mastery Great Bascinet, I did some looking around their website. I really like the bascinet with side hinged visor, and have been looking for something like it for quite some time as I am working on assembling a kit appropriate for 1350, give or take a few years. To me, however, it seems that the apex of the bascinet is too far back, making for a helmet that is more appropriate for the later portion of the 14th century. Does anyone else have any thought on this, or examples of mid-14th century bascinets with the point as far back as on the Steel Mastery example? I would love to think I have found a viable solution for my helmet needs, but I am afraid that one point might be a deal breaker for me.

-Grey

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Tue 02 Oct, 2007 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Grey, Lloyd had one of those too, except with the single ocular. I had a chance to examine this helm first hand and you are right that the point is pushed to the back with a fairly steep/straight slope down the back. After seeing Steel Mastery's custom work in Lloyd's new helm (and keep in mind this was a "rush job" from them - they got Lloyd's helm out of the shop and in the post in two days!), just give them a call/email with references as to what you want, and I can't see it being a problem for them to take care of you.
I thought I had seen an Italian version with a point very far back like that but I can't recall where. I have purchased several items from Steel Mastery and can vouch for their customer service standards as well as fine workmanship.
Alex at Steel Mastery is easy to talk to and responds very quickly to e-mails. He seems to prefer doing each job as custom and yet doesn't charge/gouge with "custom prices." Even his shipping charges are incredibly fair.

Here's how I reach him: Yurii Zaharchuk <steel_mastery@yahoo.com> (Aye, it says "Yurii," but he replies as Alex)

Definitely shoot him an e-mail detailing what you want, including angle of the helm point; attached pics help too.

-Rob Kelly
Quartermaster,
Order of Selohaar
Thanks for the input. I have avoided considering custom work because it is normally beyond my means. I will have to pull together some pictures and ideas and send Alex an e-mail.

-Grey

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: