Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Murad IV's armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Pedro Paulo Gaião




Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Joined: 14 Mar 2015

Posts: 274

PostPosted: Thu 01 Nov, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Murad IV's armor         Reply with quote



So, Murad the IV was the Ottoman Emperor in the first half of 17th century, being contemporary to the 30 Years' War. I mainly wanted to show this portray, for you can see the use of latten and what appears to be pearls in the mail and in the rerebrace.

Also, to ask you if there is any evidence for Islamic armor being completely hidden by dresses (I'm excluding Khazagand/Jazerant mail-cloth armor), for when I read Heath's Armies of Middle Ages he said the thesis of undergarment armor was debunked by the time he wrote his book (1970-80's). Murad's armor is obviously not hidden, but it's an interesting match anyways.

“Burn old wood, read old books, drink old wines, have old friends.”
Alfonso X, King of Castile (1221-84)
View user's profile Send private message
Pieter B.





Joined: 16 Feb 2014
Reading list: 10 books

Posts: 580

PostPosted: Fri 02 Nov, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Murad IV's armor         Reply with quote

Pedro Paulo Gaião wrote:
I'm excluding Khazagand/Jazerant mail-cloth armor), for when I read Heath's Armies of Middle Ages he said the thesis of undergarment armor was debunked by the time he wrote his book (1970-80's).


We do have European wills and household accounts which mention such clothing though. If my memory serves me right the Howard household accounts mention the use of mail and red velvet in a single garment.
View user's profile Send private message
Eric S




Location: new orleans
Joined: 22 Nov 2009
Reading list: 8 books

Posts: 805

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Murad IV's armor         Reply with quote

Pedro Paulo Gaião wrote:


So, Murad the IV was the Ottoman Emperor in the first half of 17th century, being contemporary to the 30 Years' War. I mainly wanted to show this portray, for you can see the use of latten and what appears to be pearls in the mail and in the rerebrace.

Also, to ask you if there is any evidence for Islamic armor being completely hidden by dresses (I'm excluding Khazagand/Jazerant mail-cloth armor), for when I read Heath's Armies of Middle Ages he said the thesis of undergarment armor was debunked by the time he wrote his book (1970-80's). Murad's armor is obviously not hidden, but it's an interesting match anyways.


Pedro, take a good look at the painting of Murad, his hauberk IS obviously hidden by his clothing, the painter shows his clothing thrown back to one side which exposes his hauberk. This was not uncommon, when looking at paintings done of Indo-Persian warriors you often see helmets and arm guards but not hauberks or other body armor, what you see instead are long coats.

https://www.pinterest.com/worldantiques/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jean Henri Chandler




Location: New Orleans
Joined: 20 Nov 2006

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,090

PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

here is an amusing and interesting anecdote about armor by Usamah Ibn Munqih:

"Salah Al din (Saladin) stood in his place until a part of the army joined him. He then said, "Put on your armor". The majority of those did so while I remained standing by his side. After a while he said again, 'How many times do I have to say "Put on your Armor?'' I said 'Oh my Lord, surely thou does not mean me?' 'Surely' said he. I replied 'By Allah, surely I cannot put on anything more. We are in the early part of the night, and my quilted jerkin (kuzaghand) is furnished with two coats of mail, one on top of the other. As soon as I see the enemy I shall put it on.' Salah al Din did not reply, and we set off.

In the morning we found ourselves near Dumayr. Salah-al Din (Saladin) said to me 'Shall we not dismount and eat something? I am hungry and have been up all night.' I replied 'I shall do what thou orderest.' So we dismounted, and no sooner than we had set foot on the ground, when he said 'Where is thy jerkin?' Upon my order, my attendant produced it. Taking it out from it's leather bag, I took my knife and ripped it at the breast and disclosed the side of the two coats of mail. The jerkin enclosed a Frankish coat of mail extending to the bottom of it, with another coat on top reaching as far as the middle. Both were equipped with the proper linings, felt pads, rough silk, and rabbits hair.'

System D'Armes Historical European fencing in New Orleans

Essays on Hroarr

Introducing the Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic
View user's profile Send private message
Pedro Paulo Gaião




Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Joined: 14 Mar 2015

Posts: 274

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Murad IV's armor         Reply with quote

Pieter B. wrote:
Pedro Paulo Gaião wrote:
I'm excluding Khazagand/Jazerant mail-cloth armour), for when I read Heath's Armies of Middle Ages he said the thesis of undergarment armour was debunked by the time he wrote his book (1970-80's).


We do have European wills and household accounts which mention such clothing though. If my memory serves me right the Howard household accounts mention the use of mail and red velvet in a single garment.


Could you quote the passage or post a link about these accounts?

Eric S wrote:
Pedro, take a good look at the painting of Murad, his hauberk IS obviously hidden by his clothing, the painter shows his clothing thrown back to one side which exposes his hauberk. This was not uncommon when looking at paintings done of Indo-Persian warriors you often see helmets and arm guards but not hauberks or other body armour, what you see instead are long coats.


What exactly is the sense of having a gilt/latten decored mail shirt with pearls and then hiding it over a mantle? You made a point, but I'm curious about this, anyways.

Also: can we consider this coats to be jazerants instead of simply vestments over actually separated armour?

“Burn old wood, read old books, drink old wines, have old friends.”
Alfonso X, King of Castile (1221-84)
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Murad IV's armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2019 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum