Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Nice little clip of Jan Chodkiewicz Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Rim Andries




Location: The Netherlands
Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Likes: 10 pages
Reading list: 5 books

Posts: 151

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Nice little clip of Jan Chodkiewicz         Reply with quote

Since this is not on youtube I think many people might have missed it, which is unfortunate.

This nice little video features Jan Chodkiewicz. Jan is a talented bladesmith and armorer from Poland. His brand is Ensifer.

Besides making swords Jan also knows how to use them. He is known in Europe as a fearsome longsword fencer, having won various tournaments, including Swordfish 2011.

Enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/60075766

Sir Dreamin'
View user's profile Send private message
J. Hargis




Location: Pacific Palisades, California
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Likes: 22 pages

Posts: 339

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Simply marvelous.
Quite the man, quite the sword he was wielding. The music was exquisite as well.

Thanks for posting this, Rim.

Jon

A poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.
View user's profile Send private message
Rim Andries




Location: The Netherlands
Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Likes: 10 pages
Reading list: 5 books

Posts: 151

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Hargis wrote:
Simply marvelous.
Quite the man, quite the sword he was wielding. The music was exquisite as well.

Thanks for posting this, Rim.

Jon


You are welcome Jon!

I agree: the cinematography, the music, the scenery... it is all equally breathtaking. I find it very inspirational to see a young man truly live by the sword the way Jan does.

FYI he made the sword himself, as you probably guessed. And just when you think this guy couldn't possibly get any cooler... he turns out to be a direct descendant of a great polish warlord.... it is simply not fair... Wink

Glad you liked it!

Sir Dreamin'
View user's profile Send private message
Herbert Schmidt




Location: Austria / Europe
Joined: 21 Mar 2004

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 161

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing the video out. It is very well done.

However…

Quote:
Jan Chodkiewicz, or John, is known as the world's greatest swordsman who follows the ancient European techniques.


…is really an unnecessary bold and exaggerated statement. I don't know why to degrade an otherwise good work with such a ridiculous text. Pity.

www.arsgladii.at
Historical European Martial Arts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Julien M




Location: Austin TX
Joined: 14 Sep 2005

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,066

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:


Quote:
Jan Chodkiewicz, or John, is known as the world's greatest swordsman who follows the ancient European techniques.


…is really an unnecessary bold and exaggerated statement. I don't know why to degrade an otherwise good work with such a ridiculous text. Pity.


I could not agree more...a bloated and rather distasteful statement that somehow ruined it for me (though I am grateful for the music by the group "Estampie" which I had never heard of (despite listening to Dead Can Dance for a decade)

Wonder what other WMA adepts here think of such a vain claim...

J
View user's profile Send private message
Rim Andries




Location: The Netherlands
Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Likes: 10 pages
Reading list: 5 books

Posts: 151

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julien M wrote:
Herbert Schmidt wrote:


Quote:
Jan Chodkiewicz, or John, is known as the world's greatest swordsman who follows the ancient European techniques.


…is really an unnecessary bold and exaggerated statement. I don't know why to degrade an otherwise good work with such a ridiculous text. Pity.


I could not agree more...a bloated and rather distasteful statement that somehow ruined it for me (though I am grateful for the music by the group "Estampie" which I had never heard of (despite listening to Dead Can Dance for a decade)

Wonder what other WMA adepts here think of such a vain claim...


You guys are quite right. It was unnecessary and above all not true. I wouldn't know who is the best, and I don't care.

It is not first time I have read such a bold claim in the world of HEMA. Especially when it comes to Clements and his expertise. So I guess I am used to the boasting. I don't care for it either, and do not understand the reasoning behind it: these guys are good enough without claiming to be the best. They don't need it.

I'm not sure why Jan agreed with this, if he did. Maybe he doesn't. Perhaps the statement is his own. Perhaps it isn't... who knows?

Anyway I didn't want to let it ruin the video for me. I hope you guys won't either.

Ps the title of the song by Estampie is "Chanterai por mon corage". It is also part of the soundtrack of Kingdom of Heaven. It can be heard when Godfrey of Ibelin (Liam Neeson) visits Balian (Orlando Bloom) and his mind melancholically drifts off to the past while looking out over the garden that surrounds the smithy.

Sir Dreamin'
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Nice little clip of Jan Chodkiewicz
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum