Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can anyone tell me the origins of a ring? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Stuart Thompson




Location: Walton-on-the-Naze
Joined: 15 Feb 2010

Posts: 118

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Can anyone tell me the origins of a ring?         Reply with quote

I've recently come across a copper finger ring, been told by a historian it's Anglo-Saxon. It's solid with a heavy patine an oval bezel with a ring-dot pattern. The only pictures I have i'll post but they are pretty bad as it's very hard to get a good look at without handling.

So would it be viking? or a trade piece? I know nothing of these items! Confused

This is it with my silver twist from Danegeld. It's not a bad size either and the band is well intact.

I'll look to take more soon with better shots of the bezel, pattern, and band.
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Howard




Location: Maitland, NSW, Australia
Joined: 08 Dec 2004

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 3,158

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Where was it found? What was it found with?
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart Thompson




Location: Walton-on-the-Naze
Joined: 15 Feb 2010

Posts: 118

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was found by my dog who went off chasing rabbits near the marshes and came back with a mouth-full of..dirt mud and this. (He always carries his duck comforter when we go out and he threw up the rest of the mud with this beauty)
View user's profile Send private message
Colt Reeves





Joined: 09 Mar 2009

Posts: 466

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tell him to bring back something more fun next time, a sword perhaps. Laughing Out Loud
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Howard




Location: Maitland, NSW, Australia
Joined: 08 Dec 2004

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 3,158

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stuart Thompson wrote:
It was found by my dog who went off chasing rabbits near the marshes and came back with a mouth-full of..dirt mud and this. (He always carries his duck comforter when we go out and he threw up the rest of the mud with this beauty)


Doesn't help in the slightest since we have no idea where you live. Update your profile.
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Beal





Joined: 02 Apr 2006

Posts: 68

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone tell me the origins of a ring?         Reply with quote

Stuart Thompson wrote:
I've recently come across a copper finger ring, been told by a historian it's Anglo-Saxon. It's solid with a heavy patine an oval bezel with a ring-dot pattern. The only pictures I have i'll post but they are pretty bad as it's very hard to get a good look at without handling.


I know the style and have seen it attributed as saxon/viking on various sales sites. Never seen one from a reputable source so always been a little suspicious (as rings with seperate bezels like this don't match the sort of thing seen elsewhere).

This ring http://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/233839 has the same decoration motif you are describing (and i can think of a half-dozen like it), but you can see it's not a bezel attached to a ring like yours is.

Ring & dot is a common decorative form, from the later British iron-age & Roman periods through the medieval period (and is very common on pagan period anglo-saxon metalwork). Did the guy who dated it for you by any chance give you any references to directly comparable material?

If you are based in the UK (i think you are) contact the finds liaison officer of the portable antiquities scheme at your local museum and arrange a time to pop by and have them take a look (they will photograph it take measurements and record it then give it you back as it won't be valuable to be legally declared 'treasure').

HTH
N.

Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart Thompson




Location: Walton-on-the-Naze
Joined: 15 Feb 2010

Posts: 118

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes sorry, i live in walton-on-the-naze near the aptly named 'viking way' (They did some digs there in the 50's or so I think) indeed he did there was a bronze ring from Germany around the 14th century which looked similar to mine but the only evidence he gave to tell me it's not a fake is the inside is really worn..which means nothing to be honest except it either been ground down/sanded or worn and taken off lots.

My old dog once dug up a human femur near a battle site not far from here but nothing ever came of it and obviously I did not keep it...I have my own femur..

So i'll definitely get it back? Not overly fussed but I am rather fond of it and would rather wear it than see it in a museum with a few dozen like it. After you've seen one you've seen most haha.
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart Thompson




Location: Walton-on-the-Naze
Joined: 15 Feb 2010

Posts: 118

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Doesn't help in the slightest since we have no idea where you live. Update your profile.


Updated.

sver er manni vargr, af bardaga er dr, daua er dr.
View user's profile Send private message
Dan Howard




Location: Maitland, NSW, Australia
Joined: 08 Dec 2004

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 3,158

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think it is a fake since your dog dug it up and not some dude on ebay. The only question is whether it really is as old as you have been told.
View user's profile Send private message
J.D. Crawford




Location: Toronto
Joined: 25 Dec 2006

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,584

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stuart Thompson wrote:
It was found by my dog who went off chasing rabbits near the marshes and came back with a mouth-full of..dirt mud and this. (He always carries his duck comforter when we go out and he threw up the rest of the mud with this beauty)


That's a great story. You should tell your local newspaper - I can see the headline: "Dog Vomits Viking Ring".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stuart Thompson




Location: Walton-on-the-Naze
Joined: 15 Feb 2010

Posts: 118

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just so you know, I don't go sifting through my dog's sick ALL the time. Only when something 'shiny' appears Razz As for the paper-i'm not sure the last we thing we want is an army of tourists with metal detectors swooping down on our backwaters.
sver er manni vargr, af bardaga er dr, daua er dr.
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Beal





Joined: 02 Apr 2006

Posts: 68

PostPosted: Mon 30 Aug, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stuart Thompson wrote:
Yes sorry, i live in walton-on-the-naze near the aptly named 'viking way' (They did some digs there in the 50's or so I think) indeed he did there was a bronze ring from Germany around the 14th century which looked similar to mine but the only evidence he gave to tell me it's not a fake is the inside is really worn..which means nothing to be honest except it either been ground down/sanded or worn and taken off lots.


No doubt its real if it's been found in these circumstances, dating is the hard bit without comparable items or nearby dating evidence. Given the general style of the bezel i would think that C14/15th is more likely (i know English Viking-Age material fairly well, the way the ring attaches to the bezel just does not look right).

There is an AncientArtefacts group on Yahoo that you may wish to post this to, they may have some comparable material.

Quote:
So i'll definitely get it back? Not overly fussed but I am rather fond of it and would rather wear it than see it in a museum with a few dozen like it. After you've seen one you've seen most haha.


Yes you'll definitely get it back, the entire point of the PAS is to record the stuff that turns up. The only time that things don;t get returned is when it's declared treasure (as per the treasure act) and for that to be the case it must be precious metal (and typically several ounces).

HTH
N.

Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
View user's profile Send private message
Stuart Thompson




Location: Walton-on-the-Naze
Joined: 15 Feb 2010

Posts: 118

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent thank you, then i'll take it to get looked at as soon as possible!
sver er manni vargr, af bardaga er dr, daua er dr.
View user's profile Send private message
Stephane Rabier




Location: Brittany
Joined: 13 Nov 2006

Posts: 104

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
....and don't trust anybody who sounds to be "the man who knows" : I've thrown a 2500 year old bronze spiral arm ring to the trash can when I was young, just because our neighbour the local "historian" told me it was just a worthless "copper spring" (!!!) Blush
When I've seen the same in the county museum, I was mad!
View user's profile Send private message
J.D. Crawford




Location: Toronto
Joined: 25 Dec 2006

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,584

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stuart Thompson wrote:
Just so you know, I don't go sifting through my dog's sick ALL the time. Only when something 'shiny' appears.


Maybe you should be checking for shiny stuff on the other end too... Laughing Out Loud
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Stuart Thompson




Location: Walton-on-the-Naze
Joined: 15 Feb 2010

Posts: 118

PostPosted: Tue 31 Aug, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephane Rabier wrote:
Hi,
....and don't trust anybody who sounds to be "the man who knows" : I've thrown a 2500 year old bronze spiral arm ring to the trash can when I was young, just because our neighbour the local "historian" told me it was just a worthless "copper spring" (!!!) Blush
When I've seen the same in the county museum, I was mad!


Good god?!?! Eek! ..then who to trust? and J.D, no i'll avoid that end thanks Razz

sver er manni vargr, af bardaga er dr, daua er dr.
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Can anyone tell me the origins of a ring?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum