Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Author Message
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

We are down to the final 15 swords in this first edition of the Valkyrja and I thought that I would let you know before we announce it on the Albion News page..

If you have been holding out, you may want to order one now. There will be some sort of second edition of this sword, but it will be slightly different, more expensive and possibly even more rare.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...lkyrja.htm



Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Allen Foster




PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
We are down to the final 15 swords in this first edition of the Valkyrja and I thought that I would let you know before we announce it on the Albion News page..

If you have been holding out, you may want to order one now. There will be some sort of second edition of this sword, but it will be slightly different, more expensive and possibly even more rare.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...lkyrja.htm



Best,

Howy


Hi howard,

How will the second edition be different?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
We are down to the final 15 swords in this first edition of the Valkyrja and I thought that I would let you know before we announce it on the Albion News page..

If you have been holding out, you may want to order one now. There will be some sort of second edition of this sword, but it will be slightly different, more expensive and possibly even more rare.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...lkyrja.htm



Best,

Howy


Hi howard,

How will the second edition be different?


Hey Allen!

We will be deciding that when Peter visits again at the end of the month. We may attempt the metal grip, cast the hilt in silver as a very limited edition - lots of possibilities. The guard and pommel will have another incarnation (too much of Peter's painstaking work to waste), but there are many possibilities.

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Roger Hooper




Location: Northern California
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 4
Posts: 3,959

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If anyone wants one Right Now, the Valkyrja is in stock at Kult of Athena.
View user's profile Send private message
Jeremiah Swanger




Location: Hershey, PA
Joined: 20 Feb 2004
Likes: 1 page

Posts: 531

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
We are down to the final 15 swords in this first edition of the Valkyrja and I thought that I would let you know before we announce it on the Albion News page..

If you have been holding out, you may want to order one now. There will be some sort of second edition of this sword, but it will be slightly different, more expensive and possibly even more rare.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...lkyrja.htm

Best,

Howy



WOW...

... that one sold QUICK! Eek!


Regarding a second edition, I'm curious to see what's coming up. I would suggest keeping the blade-- the current blade works beautifully in terms of proportions, IMHO. I may suggest another zoomorphic theme in the hilt, possibly drawing on Norse mythology, like the wolf Fenris, the dragon Fafnir, or Hugin and Munin (Odin's messenger ravens).

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jonathan Eells





Joined: 09 Dec 2007

Posts: 79

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Here's your first 2nd Edition order         Reply with quote

Oh, Hel, a silver guard and pommel edition? Even if that's not what ultimately happens, just the concept alone is enough to make me keep the phone and wallet handy, if that's where your thinking is heading.

Great idea, Albion!
View user's profile Send private message
Anders Backlund




Location: Sweden
Joined: 24 Oct 2007

Posts: 629

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aw, I kinda wanted one of those.

Oh well, hopefully I'll like the second edition just as much. Then I just have to somehow get rich in time to get one... >>

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
View user's profile Send private message
Chris Artman




Location: USA
Joined: 12 Apr 2008

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 441

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking forward to getting mine....
View user's profile Send private message
Justin B.




Location: Riverside, CA
Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 17 books

Posts: 63

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
Aw, I kinda wanted one of those.

Oh well, hopefully I'll like the second edition just as much. Then I just have to somehow get rich in time to get one... >>

So, so true!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz




Location: Michigan, USA
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Reading list: 3 books

Posts: 854

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
We are down to the final 15 swords in this first edition of the Valkyrja
and I thought that I would let you know before we announce it on the Albion News page..

If you have been holding out, you may want to order one now. There will be some sort of second
edition of this sword, but it will be slightly different, more expensive and possibly even more rare.

Best,

Howy


With all gentle respect ... because I'll buy an Albion, new or used, before any other. And I've handled
the valk, and it is a tasty gem. But ...

Slightly different ? Okay. More rare ? Well, okay. More Expensive ? How about less expensive ...

That would make it even rarer ... B-)
View user's profile Send private message
Nathan Keysor




Location: WV
Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Reading list: 9 books

Posts: 255

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How about a Museum Line version? Just a thought but if you're going to remake it you might as well really up the ante.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
View user's profile Send private message
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:
We are down to the final 15 swords in this first edition of the Valkyrja
and I thought that I would let you know before we announce it on the Albion News page..

If you have been holding out, you may want to order one now. There will be some sort of second
edition of this sword, but it will be slightly different, more expensive and possibly even more rare.

Best,

Howy


With all gentle respect ... because I'll buy an Albion, new or used, before any other. And I've handled
the valk, and it is a tasty gem. But ...

Slightly different ? Okay. More rare ? Well, okay. More Expensive ? How about less expensive ...

That would make it even rarer ... B-)


Hey Matt!

We'd love to be able to make our swords for less.
As it is, people work here for love, not money. Amy and I (and our investors) have actually been subsidizing every sword purchase even at these prices, since the business has lost money (we're talking hundreds of thousands) every year since we started. Steel has gone up and up - and is expected to more than double in price before the end of this or next year (not to mention getting harder to even get at any price, primarily because of the increased demand, just like oil, from India and China. For example: A billet - enough to make one sword - of one type of steel that we would like to use is now around $250 - $9 plus a pound - just for the piece of steel), bronze has gone through the roof, utilities have skyrocketed, shipping (materials to us) has skyrocketed, casting costs have gone up, and so on...
We didn't raise prices this year so far, even though it is killing us. We are just hanging in, trying to survive long enough for the economy to get better, and for the inflation in our costs to slow, stop, or even (dream on) reverse itself...
"More rare ? Well, okay" - think about how rare it would be if Albion went under...
On that cheery note... With all gentle respect in return ...

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz




Location: Michigan, USA
Joined: 08 Mar 2004
Reading list: 3 books

Posts: 854

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
"More rare ? Well, okay" - think about how rare it would be if Albion went under...
On that cheery note... With all gentle respect in return ...


Hey, Mr. W ... Thankyou for taking the time to reply to my semi-wisecrack. And I think
you'll find alotta understanding among the love-of-swords crowd. As well as the
hope that Albion remains more of an institution in the sword community as
opposed to becoming a myth ...

" Hey, do you remember those guys at Albion, they made some awesome swords
back in the early 2000's ... What the heck became of them ? "

" I think they up and moved further north, got into enriching uranium, or maybe it was
genetic research in the potato-chip field, something like that ... "

" Naw ! They migrated east, I seem to recall one of their workers discovered a new type
of roof-gutter completely by accident, they're responsible for the new housing boom -- "

" You're both wrong, they went west, openned a commune and rehab center for various
defunct mideval / renesaince societies. Lotsa' rich folk seemed to discover they had
emotional problems regarding swords and metal ... "

" That's nonsense, Albion went Hollywood in 2010, got involved with the late George
Lucas and Stephen Spielberg. You remember how those Conan-remakes and
Indiana Jones movies sky-rocketted ... "


B-)
View user's profile Send private message
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional



Location: Wisconsin, USA
Joined: 18 Aug 2003

Posts: 716

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Quote:
"More rare ? Well, okay" - think about how rare it would be if Albion went under...
On that cheery note... With all gentle respect in return ...


Hey, Mr. W ... Thankyou for taking the time to reply to my semi-wisecrack. And I think
you'll find alotta understanding among the love-of-swords crowd. As well as the
hope that Albion remains more of an institution in the sword community as
opposed to becoming a myth ...

" Hey, do you remember those guys at Albion, they made some awesome swords
back in the early 2000's ... What the heck became of them ? "

" I think they up and moved further north, got into enriching uranium, or maybe it was
genetic research in the potato-chip field, something like that ... "

" Naw ! They migrated east, I seem to recall one of their workers discovered a new type
of roof-gutter completely by accident, they're responsible for the new housing boom -- "

" You're both wrong, they went west, openned a commune and rehab center for various
defunct mideval / renesaince societies. Lotsa' rich folk seemed to discover they had
emotional problems regarding swords and metal ... "

" That's nonsense, Albion went Hollywood in 2010, got involved with the late George
Lucas and Stephen Spielberg. You remember how those Conan-remakes and
Indiana Jones movies sky-rocketted ... "


B-)


Hey Matt!

Great one!

Its nice to have something to laugh about.

Actually, we thought about switching from making swords from steel to making them from more readily available materials, like this (though the quality of this example would be tough to beat!):

http://kidscakes.blogspot.com/2008/06/conans-atlantean-sword.html


(Thanks to Parker for this suggestion)

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Allen Foster




PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

That would make it even rarer ... B-)[/quote]

Hey Matt!

We'd love to be able to make our swords for less.
As it is, people work here for love, not money. Amy and I (and our investors) have actually been subsidizing every sword purchase even at these prices, since the business has lost money (we're talking hundreds of thousands) every year since we started. Steel has gone up and up - and is expected to more than double in price before the end of this or next year (not to mention getting harder to even get at any price, primarily because of the increased demand, just like oil, from India and China. For example: A billet - enough to make one sword - of one type of steel that we would like to use is now around $250 - $9 plus a pound - just for the piece of steel), bronze has gone through the roof, utilities have skyrocketed, shipping (materials to us) has skyrocketed, casting costs have gone up, and so on...
We didn't raise prices this year so far, even though it is killing us. We are just hanging in, trying to survive long enough for the economy to get better, and for the inflation in our costs to slow, stop, or even (dream on) reverse itself...
"More rare ? Well, okay" - think about how rare it would be if Albion went under...
On that cheery note... With all gentle respect in return ...

Best,

Howy[/quote]

Howy brings up a serious point. We wouldn't have the same level of expectations and satiisfaction with regard to playing with and collecting swords without Albion. Their investors deserve to recoup their intiial invesments and turn a profit. There's enough brain power in this group to offer substitive input and ideas to help one of the main jewels of our mutual interest . Marketing, Insurance, Material, Finance, Etc.. Nathan, would it be against myArmoury's policy to set up some sort of "Friends of Albion" networking platform? A pooling of our talents and contacts to help them weather tough times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,137

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
Howy brings up a serious point. We wouldn't have the same level of expectations and satiisfaction with regard to playing with and collecting swords without Albion. Their investors deserve to recoup their intiial invesments and turn a profit. There's enough brain power in this group to offer substitive input and ideas to help one of the main jewels of our mutual interest . Marketing, Insurance, Material, Finance, Etc.. Nathan, would it be against myArmoury's policy to set up some sort of "Friends of Albion" networking platform? A pooling of our talents and contacts to help them weather tough times.


Albion has created a Benefactor's Society (see info on their website) to try to raise some capital. They also created a Guild of customers whose job was to get Albion swords into more hands by hosting events where people could handle their wares. Those of us in the Guild gave them feedback a couple of years ago on ways we thought they could improve that program, but the Guild seems to be off their radar at the moment.

People can brainstorm all they want (in the Off-Topic Talk forum) on ways to help Albion or any maker of arms and/or armour. I doubt they're the only maker having trouble in this economy (in fact, I know they're not).

Better yet, you could send your ideas directly to them, as I don't know how much time they spend on the forums most days.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Allen Foster




PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Allen Foster wrote:
Howy brings up a serious point. We wouldn't have the same level of expectations and satiisfaction with regard to playing with and collecting swords without Albion. Their investors deserve to recoup their intiial invesments and turn a profit. There's enough brain power in this group to offer substitive input and ideas to help one of the main jewels of our mutual interest . Marketing, Insurance, Material, Finance, Etc.. Nathan, would it be against myArmoury's policy to set up some sort of "Friends of Albion" networking platform? A pooling of our talents and contacts to help them weather tough times.


Albion has created a Benefactor's Society (see info on their website) to try to raise some capital. They also created a Guild of customers whose job was to get Albion swords into more hands by hosting events where people could handle their wares. Those of us in the Guild gave them feedback a couple of years ago on ways we thought they could improve that program, but the Guild seems to be off their radar at the moment.

People can brainstorm all they want (in the Off-Topic Talk forum) on ways to help Albion or any maker of arms and/or armour. I doubt they're the only maker having trouble in this economy (in fact, I know they're not).

Better yet, you could send your ideas directly to them, as I don't know how much time they spend on the forums most days.


The Benefactors Society is OK if your good a presenting swords to large and small groups but it doesn't fit my talent or a lot of other people's talents either. Giving my ideas directly to them is like throwing a pebble in the ocean versus gathering together other people on myArmoury.com in my field to pool our knowledge and come up with solutions that fit their needs. You are correct in that other Manufacturers are having tough times too and they could benefit from the same sort of platform.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,137

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Allen Foster wrote:
The Benefactors Society is OK if your good a presenting swords to large and small groups but it doesn't fit my talent or a lot of other people's talents either. Giving my ideas directly to them is like throwing a pebble in the ocean versus gathering together other people on myArmoury.com in my field to pool our knowledge and come up with solutions that fit their needs. You are correct in that other Manufacturers are having tough times too and they could benefit from the same sort of platform.


The Benefactors Society is not the same as the Guild. The Benefactor's Society are basically customer-investors. The Guild members are unpaid salesmen compensated with incentives.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Allen Foster




PostPosted: Fri 11 Jul, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Allen Foster wrote:
The Benefactors Society is OK if your good a presenting swords to large and small groups but it doesn't fit my talent or a lot of other people's talents either. Giving my ideas directly to them is like throwing a pebble in the ocean versus gathering together other people on myArmoury.com in my field to pool our knowledge and come up with solutions that fit their needs. You are correct in that other Manufacturers are having tough times too and they could benefit from the same sort of platform.


The Benefactors Society is not the same as the Guild. The Benefactor's Society are basically customer-investors. The Guild members are unpaid salesmen compensated with incentives.


Thanks,

I did realize that I had misstated but figured the point was made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chris Artman




Location: USA
Joined: 12 Apr 2008

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 441

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 12 Jul, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
How about a Museum Line version? Just a thought but if you're going to remake it you might as well really up the ante.


I agree... and that goes for more museum level, richly detailed swords in general. The success of the Valkyrja speaks for itself...

I see in quite a few posts about various swords, 'we would have done this' ... 'we are thinking of doing this sword in the future with a museum grade version' ... 'it would be more costly and much more time consuming..."

I don't know what to say but that there are a lot of bland, rather generic swords to pick from out there. While I understand the need to have various models at various price points, I can only wish for more swords like the Svante, Markgraf with half-wire grip, Valkyrja, etc...

In any case, I believe my Valkyrja shipped and I'm very excited about it... I believe you are down to 10-11 last I checked...
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Valkyrja - Only 15 Remaining
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum