Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Pandering to the folks who love lively swords" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Author Message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: "Pandering to the folks who love lively swords"         Reply with quote

The words of the title came up on a conversation not long ago, and though I didn't take it that way, I suspect it was intended as an insult....... I think i'll "own' that.......

With the "historically inspired' line, as well as being inspired by certain historical swords or features of antiques, I'm going to make the AT that comes of it, as a lively example of 'type".......

During this last week, the Thanksgiving week, I kind of stayed away from the computer and did a bit of "decompression", but also seemed to find that spark of creativity that had eluded me the last year or so..... wonderful what stress reduction will do.....

I'm going to share a few photos of swords that were programmed and machined during the "decompression" week. Don't know when they'll be finished, as there's a lot of stuff in front of them, but.....

This first one is a light type XIV, inspired by the photo in "Records", XIV.3. Lots of profile taper, should be a real lively sword.....



 Attachment: 67.32 KB
IMG_0309_1.jpg


swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The photos are as rough machined....... the previous one was to hopefully give an idea of the profile taper on the sword.....

The following one, is inspired bye XIV.3 in "Records". That is, the blade {double fullered}, and the guard..... I have no intention of doing an N pommel.



 Attachment: 59.71 KB
IMG_0308_1.jpg


swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that "Museum Replicas" did an interpretation of XIII.1 {"Records"} once........

I'm not doing an interpretation as such. However, this sword, with its triple fullers, noticeable profile taper {though subtle} and long handle definitely resonates with me. So, I've used it as inspiration for the following, though I must admit that there's a bit more profile taper in my piece {inspired by XIIIa.11} than XIII.1 has.......

The finished sword will have a blade of nearly 31 inch length, with a 7 inch inch handle between pommel and guard. The expectation is that this hand and a half sword will be exceptionally agile........



 Attachment: 66.81 KB
IMG_0310_1.jpg


swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Justin King
Industry Professional



Location: flagstaff,arizona
Joined: 12 Apr 2004
Reading list: 20 books

Posts: 551

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a fan of multi-fullered blades so these are exciting to see, Gus, I'm glad the muse is coming back to you.
View user's profile Send private message
Sam Barris




Location: San Diego, California
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Likes: 4 pages

Posts: 613

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for pandering to the folks who love lively swords. I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your current efforts. Happy
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found the piece that inspired the photo'd sword here a very interesting piece. Its a type XIII in Oakeshott's "Chivalry" {plate 11 C}, and is also here on the myArmoury article on XIII's by Chad Arnow. I think its in "Records" as a XIIIa, which kind of shows how some of these swords are "tweeners".......

This one struck me because of the mid-length blade {33 inches}, the long tang/ handle {looks like it could be an 8 inch handle}, and the subtle flared shoulders........

So, that's what we're going to have here...... a type XIII, with a 33 inch blade, 8 inch handle, a bit of a downturned guard, and subtly flared shoulders........ The photo is to attempt to show the flared shoulder........



 Attachment: 80.01 KB
IMG_0312_1.jpg


swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In a book I got from Bjorn Helquist and Peter Johnsson about 6 years ago, there's a sword that I think of as a type XII. Nothing subtle about the flared shoulders here, and the fuller tapers obviously with the taper of the edges........ this inspired me to do the same. The flared shoulder is pretty obvious, and the fuller tapers with the edge {though the photo probably won't show the tapered fuller, as its close to the shoulder of the blade........


 Attachment: 90.82 KB
IMG_0313_1.jpg


swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,130

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
I found the piece that inspired the photo'd sword here a very interesting piece. Its a type XIII in Oakeshott's "Chivalry" {plate 11 C}, and is also here on the myArmoury article on XIII's by Chad Arnow. I think its in "Records" as a XIIIa, which kind of shows how some of these swords are "tweeners".......


Here's the sword this is based off of:


Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,130

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
In a book I got from Bjorn Helquist and Peter Johnsson about 6 years ago, there's a sword that I think of as a type XII. Nothing subtle about the flared shoulders here, and the fuller tapers obviously with the taper of the edges........ this inspired me to do the same. The flared shoulder is pretty obvious, and the fuller tapers with the edge {though the photo probably won't show the tapered fuller, as its close to the shoulder of the blade........


What's the name of this book? I'd love to check out the original.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
In a book I got from Bjorn Helquist and Peter Johnsson about 6 years ago, there's a sword that I think of as a type XII. Nothing subtle about the flared shoulders here, and the fuller tapers obviously with the taper of the edges........ this inspired me to do the same. The flared shoulder is pretty obvious, and the fuller tapers with the edge {though the photo probably won't show the tapered fuller, as its close to the shoulder of the blade........


What's the name of this book? I'd love to check out the original.


Hi Chad

"Middelalderens Tveaeggede Svaerde" by it looks like Ada Bruhn Hoffmeyer........

The a and following e are run together, not something that this keyboard will allow. So, the title is as close as this keyboard will let me do......... Since the text is pretty much in Swedish, for me this is a picture book........*g*

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,130

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Hi Chad

"Middelalderens Tveaeggede Svaerde" by it looks like Ada Bruhn Hoffmeyer........

The a and following e are run together, not something that this keyboard will allow. So, the title is as close as this keyboard will let me do......... Since the text is pretty much in Swedish, for me this is a picture book........*g*


Ah, It's this one: Middelalderens Tveæggede Sværd

I've wanted that book for a while. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
Hi Chad

"Middelalderens Tveaeggede Svaerde" by it looks like Ada Bruhn Hoffmeyer........

The a and following e are run together, not something that this keyboard will allow. So, the title is as close as this keyboard will let me do......... Since the text is pretty much in Swedish, for me this is a picture book........*g*


Ah, It's this one: Middelalderens Tveæggede Sværd

I've wanted that book for a while. Happy


Yeah...... I don't believe there's many copies in the US. I knew Nathan had one, as it came up in conversation before.....

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Alexander Borum




Location: Denmark - Nykøbing M.
Joined: 07 Feb 2007
Reading list: 4 books

Posts: 16

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

for convenience its: Middelalderens Tveæggede Sværd (the double edged sword in the middle ages[/]) - its not swedish but rather Danish (very similar really) and was published by "Tøjhusmuseet" in Copenhagen


[i]Edit: i see i shouldnt have gone for a drink in mid-typing since you guys are way too fast for that
if anybody needs the book, i can see if i can get a hold of a copy, might be hard as it is from 1954 but should be possible, and send it to whomever needs it

-/ Alexander K. Borum
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Audun Refsahl




Location: Norway
Joined: 15 Feb 2006

Posts: 82

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

danish, but i guess that wont help you much, does it...
send it over,I'll translate it for you:)

I see alexander types faster than me:)
you might be able to order it from here: http://www.antikvar.dk/pilegaard/53-11.html
its number 1101.
they ask you to order by email on top of the page, as they dont update this page every day, it might be out..
500 dkk is a little less than us$100

just bacon...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jared Smith




Location: Tennessee
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 3
Posts: 1,532

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did not want to comment about or question the unusual dimensions (long grip compared to tang) of the sword earlier, but am now eager since given the historical explanation.

What general type of sword is this suspected of being (hand and a half war sword?, Rough period and suspected usage?)

I am guessing it will have the mass typical of longer 36" length generic longswords, but be competitively fast, while also very strong in all planes of contact. I am pretty intrigued!

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 28 Nov, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I did not want to comment about or question the unusual dimensions (long grip compared to tang) of the sword earlier, but am now eager since given the historical explanation.

What general type of sword is this suspected of being (hand and a half war sword?, Rough period and suspected usage?)

I am guessing it will have the mass typical of longer 36" length generic longswords, but be competitively fast, while also very strong in all planes of contact. I am pretty intrigued!


Hi Jared

The time period of this sword is a big question mark..... In "Chivalry", Oakeshott gives it a rough date of the late 13th century to the early 14th. It certainly resembles some swords which are dated there......... In "Records", he says it could be an early 12th century sword, because of the character of some inscriptions in the fuller.............I personally have no opinion on it, and my inspired piece will be made to be "in the style of" a late 13th century warsword. That's what I consider this, a relatively short bladed warsword {hand and a half warsword if you will}.

The finished sword should weigh a bit more than 3lbs, but because of the dimensions, should be very quick. 55 gal barrels, beware........

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Roger Hooper




Location: Northern California
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 3
Posts: 3,760

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Gus, do you have any new photos of these swords, especially the type XIII?
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Hey Gus, do you have any new photos of these swords, especially the type XIII?


All four are at Christian Fletcher's, part of 11 swords shipped this week {the other seven, "backlog"}......... There should be some real good photos soon, think layout.............

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

New Photos are up..........

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...words.html

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Jared Smith




Location: Tennessee
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Likes: 1 page

Spotlight topics: 3
Posts: 1,532

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These look great. Especially so for the price. I am still eager to hear of your plans regarding peening.

The lighting and photo quality don't seem to do the double fullered model justice. The tripplel fullered one came out much better looking, at least in web site appearance.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Pandering to the folks who love lively swords"
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum