Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Historically Inspired" line Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: "Historically Inspired" line         Reply with quote

This isn't anything really new, I talked about it a year ago. Disasters and life kind of swept this away last year though..... but the machine contract is one week away from being over......

As part of the "reboot" of the bizz, this is going to be a major part of the future. The first pieces will wind up at CF's place early next year....

I've had feedback both pro and con on the peening. So, some of these will be offered with a recessed nut, some will be peened...........

No copies...... there won't be any copies of existing antiques. Though most of these will be inspired by something existing........like XIII.1 {Records}. One of the first "models" will be a type XIII with three fullers..........

"Models" as such really won't exist. There won't be any model numbers, and I don't know if there will be any names. These will be limited in production. The XIII mentioned above, will likely be introduced with three pieces to start with, and I may only make five more..........

These will be separate from the more classical AT stuff..........

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Alexandria, VA USA
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 4,138

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: "Historically Inspired" line         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:


"Models" as such really won't exist. There won't be any model numbers, and I don't know if there will be any names. These will be limited in production. The XIII mentioned above, will likely be introduced with three pieces to start with, and I may only make five more..........

These will be separate from the more classical AT stuff..........


I think this is exciting, Gus. I also think it's probably a savvy move from a business perpective. I'm looking forward to this!

Virginia Academy of Fencing Historical Swordsmanship
--German Longsword & Italian Rapier in the DC Area--


"A despondent heart will always be defeated regardless of skill."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Steve Grisetti




Location: Orlando metro area, Florida, USA
Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 28 books

Posts: 1,809

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Historically Inspired" line         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
..... but the machine contract is one week away from being over....

CONGRATULATIONS in advance!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
View user's profile Send private message
Lee Reeves
Industry Professional



Location: Wasilla Alaska
Joined: 10 May 2004

Posts: 185

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

deleted
Not everything has to be decided at the point of a sword, but somethings can only be decided at the point of a sword.


Last edited by Lee Reeves on Tue 13 Nov, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
Robin Smith




PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any chance we will see a nice type X like the 1211 or 1215 with a peened pommel?
A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Historically Inspired" line         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:


"Models" as such really won't exist. There won't be any model numbers, and I don't know if there will be any names. These will be limited in production. The XIII mentioned above, will likely be introduced with three pieces to start with, and I may only make five more..........

These will be separate from the more classical AT stuff..........


I think this is exciting, Gus. I also think it's probably a savvy move from a business perpective. I'm looking forward to this!


Thanks Bill.............

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team


myArmoury Team

Location: Cincinnati, OH
Joined: 18 Aug 2003
Likes: 21 pages
Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15
Posts: 9,130

Feedback score: 100%
(3 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gus         Reply with quote

Lee Reeves wrote:
would you contact me on our orders.

Lee


This post shouldn't be in a public forum as it's not for the public. Your business transactions should be handled between the two of you via email, phone, PM, etc.

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Any chance we will see a nice type X like the 1211 or 1215 with a peened pommel?


I'm not sure where they're going to fall on the timeline, but I have planned a pretty much standard Xa, X, and a X with a double fuller, maybe two...... and a Xa with flared shoulders...........

Christian Fletcher will be the point of contact for these, and there won't be any preorders, backorders, or waiting lists....

My two biggest failings of the last 18 mos, and in particular the last year has been customer support and managing expectations........... I intend to correct this during the "reboot", and this is part of the start.........

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:
Any chance we will see a nice type X like the 1211 or 1215 with a peened pommel?


I'm not sure where they're going to fall on the timeline, but I have planned a pretty much standard Xa, X, and a X with a double fuller, maybe two...... and a Xa with flared shoulders...........

Christian Fletcher will be the point of contact for these, and there won't be any preorders, backorders, or waiting lists....

My two biggest failings of the last 18 mos, and in particular the last year has been customer support and managing expectations........... I intend to correct this during the "reboot", and this is part of the start.........


Making stuff and putting them up for sale when in stock and shipping quickly is sort of delay and missed expectations free !
Now taking specific orders for swords not kept in stock or accepting custom orders or customization of standard models does mean managing expectations. Figuring out the balance between the number of swords you produce without an order and those that are ordered is a question of what is optimum use of your available time.

If you could be sure that anything you produce would be sold as quickly as you can churn them out means that filling orders should be a smaller part of your production: 20% orders, 5% custom work and 75% work at your own pace maybe ( Just a suggestion as the percentages that work for you might be very different ).

In the work flow the custom and promised for a deadline work should take priority as any down time should affect the number of the other swords you can produce.

You're " swords without an order " could be standard good sellers and the occasional one-offs just as a mental heath change of pace or for prototype units that could become stock items or not !

An occasional, maximum effort piece might be worked on intermittently as personal project in small increments of time over long periods ? These might be sold at a " reverse " of a sales price Wink i.e. more expensive than your normal production: Just an extra idea that would depend on your interest in pushing the creative envelope and finding the time to do it.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Jean Thibodeau




PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, just a though: Previous clients could maybe put themselves on a mailing list and could get an e-mail head-up about what is currently in stock and ready for sale at Christians site when something new or unique is produced ?

Just a little targeted marketing as the people on the list would want to know this information and it shouldn't be " spammed "
to everyone who has ever bought anything before.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:
Any chance we will see a nice type X like the 1211 or 1215 with a peened pommel?


I'm not sure where they're going to fall on the timeline, but I have planned a pretty much standard Xa, X, and a X with a double fuller, maybe two...... and a Xa with flared shoulders...........

Christian Fletcher will be the point of contact for these, and there won't be any preorders, backorders, or waiting lists....

My two biggest failings of the last 18 mos, and in particular the last year has been customer support and managing expectations........... I intend to correct this during the "reboot", and this is part of the start.........


Making stuff and putting them up for sale when in stock and shipping quickly is sort of delay and missed expectations free !
Now taking specific orders for swords not kept in stock or accepting custom orders or customization of standard models does mean managing expectations. Figuring out the balance between the number of swords you produce without an order and those that are ordered is a question of what is optimum use of your available time.

If you could be sure that anything you produce would be sold as quickly as you can churn them out means that filling orders should be a smaller part of your production: 20% orders, 5% custom work and 75% work at your own pace maybe ( Just a suggestion as the percentages that work for you might be very different ).

In the work flow the custom and promised for a deadline work should take priority as any down time should affect the number of the other swords you can produce.

You're " swords without an order " could be standard good sellers and the occasional one-offs just as a mental heath change of pace or for prototype units that could become stock items or not !

An occasional, maximum effort piece might be worked on intermittently as personal project in small increments of time over long periods ? These might be sold at a " reverse " of a sales price Wink i.e. more expensive than your normal production: Just an extra idea that would depend on your interest in pushing the creative envelope and finding the time to do it.


Hi Jean

I've had the opportunity over the last few months, post shop flood, to do a bit of introspection on this, and separate what's worked, and what hasn't.........

What worked best was working with Josh Hemingway, who's philosophy was stock, and sell the stock, with the occassional backorder. Truth to tell, it was likely about 70% to 30%.

What hasn't worked was trying to keep up with correspondence and phone calls, and the shipping and handling was something that sometimes wasn't done in a timely manner either........

With the machine contract at an end, I now have the opportunity to fix things. With the Naval work becoming a thing of the past, that will free up a lot of time for swords, but there's things I've been good at, and things that I've sucked at, read above......

So...... Christian Fletcher and his wife will be the "point of contact" very soon, will be doing the retail stuff, and it will all be run from CF's site. The classical AT stuff, the "historically inspired" {whatever that winds up called in the long run}, the tactical stuff, and the tac knives. Email communication will be fixed then, as spam doesn't seem to work against the mac systems. And there'll be someone to chat with on the phone........

This won't be in effect until early next year.........But the transition has started.........

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, just a though: Previous clients could maybe put themselves on a mailing list and could get an e-mail head-up about what is currently in stock and ready for sale at Christians site when something new or unique is produced ?

Just a little targeted marketing as the people on the list would want to know this information and it shouldn't be " spammed "
to everyone who has ever bought anything before.


I think Christian might do something like that........but that's up to him.

There'll also be the occassional collaboration where CF dresses something up to the max.........

But I don't plan on doing any custom stuff, anytime in the forseeable future.......

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
M. Eversberg II




Location: California, Maryland, USA
Joined: 07 Sep 2006
Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,435

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When you're done making one, you could auction it off, starting at cost.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tim Lison




Location: Chicago, Illinois
Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Likes: 1 page
Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 1,502

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gus-

This is great news. I've been waiting for this line ever since you announced it about a year ago. I think having Christian as a point of contact will work well as he's always been very good about communication. I truly look forward to this release.

-Tim
View user's profile Send private message
Angus Trim




Location: Seattle area
Joined: 26 Aug 2003

Spotlight topics: 1
Posts: 870

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 14 Nov, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Gus-

This is great news. I've been waiting for this line ever since you announced it about a year ago. I think having Christian as a point of contact will work well as he's always been very good about communication. I truly look forward to this release.

-Tim


Thanks Tim

Like what I talked about last year, lenticular blade contours from the fuller to the tip, appleseed edges, etc........

swords are fun
View user's profile Send private message
Darwin Todd





Joined: 23 Aug 2003

Posts: 90

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 18 Nov, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good luck Angus. I think this will prove to be a good move for you and CF both. I can"t wait to see the new models.
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > "Historically Inspired" line
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum