Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword sparring clubs in the uk? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Author Message
Rob Jones




Location: ANGLESEY NORTH WALES
Joined: 25 May 2007

Posts: 7

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: sword sparring clubs in the uk?         Reply with quote

hi chaps,
i am based in north wales u.k. and am looking for a club or people interested in getting together and practicing our learnt techniques with real sparring swords or with realistic replica sparring weapons made of more forgiving materials. I am new to western martial arts but have some weapons handling experience from my martial arts background. I would like to find a club to become a member of but failing that maybe arrange to meet like mided enthusiasts for serious but informal bit of sparring. Can anyone help with any british websites like this one or clubs websites? cheers guys - Rob.
View user's profile Send private message
Martin Wallgren




Location: Bjästa, Sweden
Joined: 01 Mar 2004

Spotlight topics: 2
Posts: 620

PostPosted: Thu 31 May, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: sword sparring clubs in the uk?         Reply with quote

Rob Jones wrote:
hi chaps,
i am based in north wales u.k. and am looking for a club or people interested in getting together and practicing our learnt techniques with real sparring swords or with realistic replica sparring weapons made of more forgiving materials. I am new to western martial arts but have some weapons handling experience from my martial arts background. I would like to find a club to become a member of but failing that maybe arrange to meet like mided enthusiasts for serious but informal bit of sparring. Can anyone help with any british websites like this one or clubs websites? cheers guys - Rob.


http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/intro/

Here you will find what you“re looking for.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shamsi Modarai




Location: On wuda bearwe, under actreo in žam eoršscręfe.
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Reading list: 16 books

Posts: 110

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I was just about to start a similar thread inquiring about sword-fighting groups in the U.K.. Though I was going to specifically ask about groups in or near York, since that is where I am going for my M.A. in Medieval Studies this coming Autumn term (starting in October). I am also very interested in any historical reenactment groups (that aren't too expensive to join, as I am just a lowly and poor student Wink ), also in the York area. I prefer early medieval stuff (aka anything from fall of Rome to 1066) but I do like other periods also.

I know of Regia Anglorum in the UK, but I'm not really sure if I would have the time or money for that......I am going to be rather busy with my studies, after all. What I'm looking for is something that I could just casually attend whenever I had time and energy to do so.

Any suggestions from those "in the know"? Happy

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Martin Wilkinson





Joined: 05 Mar 2006

Posts: 155

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
Coincidentally, I was just about to start a similar thread inquiring about sword-fighting groups in the U.K.. Though I was going to specifically ask about groups in or near York, since that is where I am going for my M.A. in Medieval Studies this coming Autumn term (starting in October). I am also very interested in any historical reenactment groups (that aren't too expensive to join, as I am just a lowly and poor student Wink ), also in the York area. I prefer early medieval stuff (aka anything from fall of Rome to 1066) but I do like other periods also.

I know of Regia Anglorum in the UK, but I'm not really sure if I would have the time or money for that......I am going to be rather busy with my studies, after all. What I'm looking for is something that I could just casually attend whenever I had time and energy to do so.

Any suggestions from those "in the know"? Happy


Join the forum over at www.fioredeiliberi.org there are a couple of people from groups around York that could point you in the right direction.

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shamsi Modarai




Location: On wuda bearwe, under actreo in žam eoršscręfe.
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Reading list: 16 books

Posts: 110

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks....I will post on their forum as soon as the admin approves me. Happy

In the meantime, what about this group?

http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=2426

I know its not in York, but it was the closest I could find online. And practicing at the Royal Armouries in Leeds seems like a fun thing to do. Wink

Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Martin Wilkinson





Joined: 05 Mar 2006

Posts: 155

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
Thanks....I will post on their forum as soon as the admin approves me. Happy

In the meantime, what about this group?

http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=2426

I know its not in York, but it was the closest I could find online. And practicing at the Royal Armouries in Leeds seems like a fun thing to do. Wink


I know one of the guys on the Schola forum is a member of them, or a member of an offshoot. And yeah, it does seem like a fun thing to do.

"A bullet you see may go anywhere, but steel's, almost bound to go somewhere."

Schola Gladiatoria
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shamsi Modarai




Location: On wuda bearwe, under actreo in žam eoršscręfe.
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Reading list: 16 books

Posts: 110

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, sounds like I'd better get posting on that Schola forum. Laughing Out Loud
Wa biš žam že sceal of langože leofes abidan.

~ The Wife's Lament
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Steve Grisetti




Location: Orlando metro area, Florida, USA
Joined: 01 Mar 2004
Likes: 7 pages
Reading list: 28 books

Posts: 1,809

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shamsi Modarai wrote:
... I am also very interested in any historical reenactment groups (that aren't too expensive to join, as I am just a lowly and poor student Wink ), also in the York area. I prefer early medieval stuff (aka anything from fall of Rome to 1066) but I do like other periods also ....

My daughter and son-in-law live in York (Heworth area), and recently started participating in an English Civil War reenactment group. That is a little outside your period, but if it is of interest, shoot me a pm, and I will request the particulars from my daughter. My son-in-law also used to participate in a Viking reenactment group in the same area. Of course, York (Jorvik) was a major Viking center.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
View user's profile Send private message


Display posts from previous:   
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword sparring clubs in the uk?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic
All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum






All contents © Copyright 2003-2018 myArmoury.com — All rights reserved
Discussion forums powered by phpBB © The phpBB Group
Switch to the Basic Low-bandwidth Version of the forum