Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Here is a link to the review in The Washington Post by Stephen Hunter, a very capable writer of suspense thrillers in his own right:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...01836.html
I was particularly taken with his final paragraph:
Quote:
Anyway, the movie really devolves into an infantile hour and 40 minutes of head- and limb-lopping against a fairy tale backdrop (much CGI amplification) of a story that makes "Conan the Barbarian" seem like Dostoevski in its complexity.

I actually enjoyed Conan and I liked "The Thirteenth Warrior." On th eother hand, "Braveheart" and "The Patriot" absolutely stunk for their misleading characterizations. I particularly disliked the portrayal of the British burning a church full of colonials. That was a war crime committed by the SS during WWII and not by the British during the American Revolution. One British commander did burn empty churches and was duly chastised for it by Cornwallis, as much for his stupidity as for his brutality as it made enemies out of possible allies.
You guys think these are bad Viking movies, wait till you see The Viking Sagas with Ralph Moeller. This movie is so bad " how bad is it " you ask, it's so bad it would have to improve 100% just to get up to bad. We are talking bad plot, bad acting, no Viking Longship and sword fights that my Grandmother could still do a better job and shes been dead thirty years now. About the only thing that will keep you from putting this DVD in the garbage after watching it is the two scenes with a cute Viking girl topless. After watching this movie you'll think The 13th Warrior should be nominated for an Academy Award.
I think why people like the 13th warrior is primarily due to the first 15 minutes of it, which were very compelling. Thats not coincidentally because that is the only part from Michael Crichtons "Eaters of the Dead" novel which were actually based in a real historical account, that of Ibn Fadlan. I also liked the casting and much of the acting, but the movie for me at any rate rather rapidly plunged into Xena episode territory as it went on, especially with the inevitable cavemen.

Ok I know neolithic inuit probably finished off the Greenland colony but that was a small starving group of colonists real far from the Norse homeland. I really don't see how some cavemen could have terrorised Norse settlements like that, let alone a whole region. I don't think for example that inuit could have overrun Iceland. Especially since these Norse are portrayed as being so tough. The movie would have been a lot more interesting if he had gone strait to a grendel legend, (like that new Canadian film) or just portrayed rival Vikings terrorising the community as often in fact happened. That would have been much more compelling and probably a lot scarieir than cartoon cavemen.

To me it's yet another example of the opportunity to draw on our rich historical and mythological legacy to make a story better, which was tossed in favor of a real, real silly hollywood writers plot idea.

Sadly those films where they do follow the much more interesting and engaging old plots (like the Canadian Beowulf and Grendel or that German film they did based on the Ring saga) don't seem to get enough funding or marketing support and never have a chance to really show their potential.

One of my favorite movies (though by no means perfect) was the Vikings from the 1950's with Tony Curtiss and Kirk Douglas. Now thats a Viking film!

Jean
I actually found this one entertaining though not too historical. Sort of a funny entertaining, but entertaining all the same. You didn't enjoy The Walk?

Nick B. wrote:
You guys think these are bad Viking movies, wait till you see The Viking Sagas with Ralph Moeller. This movie is so bad " how bad is it " you ask, it's so bad it would have to improve 100% just to get up to bad. We are talking bad plot, bad acting, no Viking Longship and sword fights that my Grandmother could still do a better job and shes been dead thirty years now. About the only thing that will keep you from putting this DVD in the garbage after watching it is the two scenes with a cute Viking girl topless. After watching this movie you'll think The 13th Warrior should be nominated for an Academy Award.
Martin Whalen wrote:
My gosh, I have just seen the preview and I actually made a face of disgust at one point, I very rarely do that, but this movie hit a nerve. I have never been so annoyed and insulted after seeing a movie trailer, how many years before people of European decent stop putting up with this, we are proud of our ancestry to ya know...I need to hit something...

Oh my gosh, no words, no words, I need to go now.

I really don't understand why it makes some people so upset.

First, it's a silly movie full of cheap Hollywood stereotypes that nobody takes seriously.

Second, Vikings were violent invaders, when they could get away with it, and when it made sense (the invasions of Ireland, the conquest of Sicily, the siege of Paris, the conquest of what became the Danelaw in England, etc. etc). Where they couldn't (e.g. Rus) they were mostly good neighbors and traders and soldiers for hire. Does it mean they were "bad" ? Of course not - such was the time, everybody was busy either attacking somebody or defending themselves. Does it mean they were perhaps more aggressive and violent than others, had more trained warriors, and as a group were more warlike than many others ? Sure - just look at what they've accomplished, and at the fearsome reputation they had.

The Native Americans weren't exactly pacifists, either. They were warriors, constantly fighting with each other. The Vikings proved to be, at the time, a better fighting force, for a number of reasons. Still, the comparison made early in the thread to the "children wanting others to share their lego blocks" is a rather silly one (no offense intended) - the land the people live on is not a bunch of blocks, and nobody ever "shared" it without much persuasion.

Bottom line is - there was no "righteous" side, the times themselves were not "righteous".
.[/b]
Gene Green wrote:
Martin Whalen wrote:
My gosh, I have just seen the preview and I actually made a face of disgust at one point, I very rarely do that, but this movie hit a nerve. I have never been so annoyed and insulted after seeing a movie trailer, how many years before people of European decent stop putting up with this, we are proud of our ancestry to ya know...I need to hit something...

Oh my gosh, no words, no words, I need to go now.

I really don't understand why it makes some people so upset.

First, it's a silly movie full of cheap Hollywood stereotypes that nobody takes seriously.

Second, Vikings were violent invaders, when they could get away with it, and when it made sense (the invasions of Ireland, the conquest of Sicily, the siege of Paris, the conquest of what became the Danelaw in England, etc. etc). Where they couldn't (e.g. Rus) they were mostly good neighbors and traders and soldiers for hire. Does it mean they were "bad" ? Of course not - such was the time, everybody was busy either attacking somebody or defending themselves. Does it mean they were perhaps more aggressive and violent than others, had more trained warriors, and as a group were more warlike than many others ? Sure - just look at what they've accomplished, and at the fearsome reputation they had.

The Native Americans weren't exactly pacifists, either. They were warriors, constantly fighting with each other. The Vikings proved to be, at the time, a better fighting force, for a number of reasons. Still, the comparison made early in the thread to the "children wanting others to share their lego blocks" is a rather silly one (no offense intended) - the land the people live on is not a bunch of blocks, and nobody ever "shared" it without much persuasion.

Bottom line is - there was no "righteous" side, the times themselves were not "righteous".
.[/b]

There are two main reasons it upsets me.

Firstly, lets face it, "history" is often made by common belief, for instance, look at the Victorian drawings of Vikings with wing and horn helmets, that image is still alive, even though it is false. Why? That's simple, people who don't learn the facts think that is fact. The same goes with many examples, but you get the idea. Sure, learned people may know it's trash, but regular folk who don't immerse themselves in this world we all love will take it as at least loose reality. Not to mention the children who absorb movies into their subconsious, for example, try to tell a child, or even some adults that Christopher Columbus didn't come up with the round earth theory, and they might think you're crazy, see what I mean? Bottom line, Hollywood still hasn't come to grips with the modern world, we have the internet, and we have countless books on every subject, and yet they keep obscuring history to make a buck. The facts are right there Hollywood, stop dumbing down movies!!...By the way, real history is even better!! Arg...Hollywood...

Secondly, what I like to call, "ancient racism". Apparently, my ancestors were moronic, grunting, giants who raped and pillaged to their hearts content, heck, they even did it in the new world!! It does not matter, even in the slightest, if they don't say it's fact, this idea is still being driven into peoples' minds. "Movies are movies, get over it", that's what alot of people say, but lemme tell ya, all of my friends think these movies are fact, "Arthur", "Braveheart", "Troy", "Pathfinder", and I could go on. How is that not a problem? Not only does it insult my people, but it insults my gullible friends by making them think there is even a shred of truth here.

I'm sorry for ranting, but then again allot of you probably agree. To bad there's nothing we can do about it, at least we try to be informed. I just feel bad for the people who accept this crap as history.
We are living in a post-literate society. By that, I mean that a very large portion of our population do not gain information by reading, they gain it by the images that they see on television and in films. To my way of thinking, this puts a responsibility upon the people who make products for television and films to at least attempt to make their products moderately accurate. I am less concerned when the film or tv show is an animated effort that is clearly animated, as in "THe Prince of Egypt" but films and tv shows that look to be real or that use live action in them should stick to reality as much as possible within the storyline. At least when they are portraying something out of history, they should. Peter Jackson may do whatever he wishes with Tolkien's fantasies and nobody is fooled by what they see but many people believed what theidiocy that Mel Gibson put forth as history in "Braveheart" and "The Patriot" and I will bet dollars to donuts that there will be people out there who will be saying that Xerxes was this metat-pierced exhibitionist sexual pervert as portrayed in "300" while the Spartans are these paragons of heterosexual bravery and patriotism. I shudder to think of what people will come to believe of the Norse settlers who attempted to colonize North America at the turn of the First Millennium after watching 'Pathfinder" and its distortions.
Come now Martin you cannot be racist against Caucasian cultures ;)
Quote:
Apparently, my ancestors were moronic, grunting, giants who raped and pillaged to their hearts content, heck, they even did it in the new world!!

But of course they were, just like anybody else at the time.. well, save for the "giants" part. :\

I understand where you're coming from - aborigines are always "good" while settlers are always "bad" in the movies.. but hey, can't win this one.

A moron will always find some stupid non-fact to believe in, and a thinking person will always think & try to learn.
An intelligent history major over at BladeForums recently asked if the portrayal of the British burning churches filled with colonials in the Mel Gibson film, "The Patriot," was accurate. His area of history was not American history. Now, if he could actually ask this question, how can we expect others with less historical knowledge to even try?
Hello
I just rented pathfinder on DVD. If they`d just called the Vikings,"Orcs",and said it was a fantasy peace,it would have been a semi-descent movie. The vikings, had to be big, I guess.From rowing ,all that tonnage, of horse flesh ,across the Atlantic :D I guess horses, didnt come with Cortez ,afterall. :)
Rented the movie yesterday - gave up on historical accurracy 5 minutes in - seemed like a " 300 " clone. I'm too old for graphic novels I guess.

Re the depiction of the Norse - I prefer the F G Bengsston novel " The Longships" it strikes me as probably pretty close to real.

As to the general premise - American Indians killed the Vikings - not Norse foundlings. By the way we also killed scads of Frenchmen - Spaniards-Dutchmen and Englishmen using our stone tipped arrows and war clubs. Swords and armor didn't conquer us - smallpox and measles did.

Re the usage of Indian vs Native American - I'm an Indian because my mother was a Cherokee woman - I'm a native American because I was born here.
Pathfinder
Sorry,

But I thought this was a stupid movie. The end is so dumb the audience moaned aloud in the theater. I cringed and shut my eyes it was so bad. If you have an IQ above 99, don't waste your money

Not even close to the 13th Warrior.

Regards,

Charlee
Curt Cummins wrote:
Rented the movie yesterday - gave up on historical accurracy 5 minutes in - seemed like a " 300 " clone. I'm too old for graphic novels I guess.

Hey now, that's uncalled for. It's a stupid movie, not a graphic novel, nor in any way representative of the medium of sequential art; have a look at some Jaime Hernandez or Hugo Pratt or any of the thousands of other more creative artists if you're tired of mainstream superheroes.

PS. That said, the movie is indeed kinda dire. Not even much stupid fun, and I'm a connoisseur of bad films.
Mikko

Pathfinder was a Dark Horse graphic novel; DH also put out Sin City and 300.

I loved Sin City and 300 as great movie adaptations of graphic novels I loved as a teen; I went into 300 expecting no history and it did not bother me one bit. What bugs me is when Hollywood takes a historical tale and does nothing historical with it; Troy and the Beowulf 3D comes to mind. Then again some movies are so strong I can get past the historical non sense like Gladiator and Braveheart.
Mikko,

That was a statement of personal preference for straight prose over graphic arts story telling, not a value judgement of graphic novels. It's a generational thing. There were no computers, no video games and no graphic novels when my tastes were being set. Therefore, I have a preference for the straight forward story told in good prose over a visual depiction because that's how I best enjoy a story.

I've had this same conversation with all of my four sons - mid twenties to mid thirties in age - they are all talented artists and enjoy the graphic arts more than prose and were enchanted with "300", "Sin City" etc. because it brought their art to life. I think it's wonderful that people your age have an art form that pleases them, but it is still not nearly as entertaining to me as a good novel, or a historically accurate movie.

Curt
I saw the previews and that was enough for me. To be honest, it reminded me of “Roots”. Does anyone else remember this farce of a movie? The Africans were depicted as living these peaceful, idyllic lives in beautiful (and spotless) tribal clothing until the savage Americans came to steal them away. Never mind that the African tribes were selling each other into slavery long before the Europeans came on the scene. We caught a glimpse of their peaceful lives a few years back when the Hutus were slaughtering their Tutsi rivals by the hundreds of thousands with machetes – a conflict that predates American culture by a good 500 or so years.

As others have said, I think it’s in vogue to think of the Native Americans in this same peace-loving fashion. From what I read, it was the Native Americans who killed off the Norse settlers (as well as internal conflict). The stories about the early fur traders in the American west paint a very different picture of the Native American than what is considered politically correct these days – replete with savage betrayals, brutal tortures, and sadistic practices. One of my ancestors was ambushed and killed by Native Americans while trying to move from Tennessee to Texas. I read a scanned image of a letter from his wife expressing her sadness and outrage over the incident.

This isn’t to say that the Native Americans were any worse than any other culture during that time period. But to portray them as tree hugging pacifists is grossly inaccurate.
I had not seen any of the trailers on Pathfinder, so on Tuesday 7/31 when I bought the double DVD disc set of The 300, I also bought Pathfinder.
Pathfinder ridiculous? Absolutely! Horned viking helmets, ridiculous fantasy swords the whole nine yards. But then again it is also a fantasy type of movie so to speak but I certainly am not real thrilled with it. The 300, I like that one.

Bob
David Martin wrote:
I. From what I read, it was the Native Americans who killed off the Norse settlers (as well as internal conflict). .

I seem to recall that the final attempt at settlement failed because of a blood feud among the Norse. They didn't have enough people left afterward to continue so they went home.
The other thing to keep in mind was that these weren't Viking raiding parties they were settlers. They had women and I believe at least one child was born in North America. They didn't set out to conquer anyone (although they weren't squeamish about putting up a fight either).
Being able to trace descent from both groups I would say that neither is bad or good. They were just competing for the same resources and fought over it. I suppose this is true of most conflicts if looked at objectively. The problem is Hollywood wants a "good guy" and a "bad guy". We know they aren't going to portray a minority group badly so the white male gets to take the hit. If they make a movie about the Hundred Years War they'll have trouble since both sides were caucasian ;)
Nathan Keysor wrote:
David Martin wrote:
I. From what I read, it was the Native Americans who killed off the Norse settlers (as well as internal conflict). .

I seem to recall that the final attempt at settlement failed because of a blood feud among the Norse. They didn't have enough people left afterward to continue so they went home.
The other thing to keep in mind was that these weren't Viking raiding parties they were settlers. They had women and I believe at least one child was born in North America. They didn't set out to conquer anyone (although they weren't squeamish about putting up a fight either).
Being able to trace descent from both groups I would say that neither is bad or good. They were just competing for the same resources and fought over it. I suppose this is true of most conflicts if looked at objectively. The problem is Hollywood wants a "good guy" and a "bad guy". We know they aren't going to portray a minority group badly so the white male gets to take the hit. If they make a movie about the Hundred Years War they'll have trouble since both sides were caucasian ;)

Lol, yea that's true, they will have quite the time deciding how to go about it. My bet would be that they try to show both sides as equally in the right. Or hey, how about they make two movies? One from the English point of view and the other French? I'd go see it...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Page 5 of 6

Jump to: